The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Munster Fusiliers

Guest deepathart

Guest deepathart

I have a choice of a possible three Fusilier units that my Grandad was with,

Inniskilling, Munster and Irish.

The badges all look the same from the photos I have.

I have been told he was at Hill 60 and Flanders (possiby wounded somewhere there)- I have found out that the Inniskilling were there from the Long Long Trail.

Were the Inniskilling in Ireland on March 11, 1916?

Im affraid it is a matter of elimination for me. I loose track with all the changing from one unit to another.

Regards

Dee

Guest deepathart

Hi Robbie,

I managed to get into that site but the last lot of correspondence on the Munsters was in 2000, I have however sent emails to some of the participants.

Will see what happens ;)

Dee

I have been told he was at Hill 60 and Flanders (possiby wounded somewhere there)

Not Hill 60 and Flanders , but Hill 60 in Flanders, Belgium, very near to Ypres!

Erwin

Guest deepathart

Robbie,

Most of the emails have bounces back as not deliverable, but thanks it was worth the try. ;)

Erwin,

I didn't think that everyone that went to Flanders was also at Hill 60.

Dee

Hi Dee,

Not being a guru of the Western front, when did this action take place? If you can give me an approximate date, I can look up where the Munster Fusiliers were on that date. Do you know which Battalions of the three Regiments mentioned your man was most likely to have been in?

Regards,

Liam.

Guest deepathart

Liam,

The battle for Hill 60 took place on the 17-22 April 1915 - got this from regiments.org web site.

I am sorry I don't know any other information - I think I am getting so frustrated that I am ready to try everything- by process of elimination I might - just might pinpoint him to a Fusilier regiment.

I have photos of him in Ireland on March 11 1916. The members of this forum have advised that he is in a Fusiliers uniform at that time and from a photo when he was 18 (it states on the rear of the photo - he'd been in the army 1 year)he was also in a fusiliers dress.

In 1918 he was in a kilt of the Liverpool Scottish - the Hanovarian Horse was on the kilt pin.

I have sent a letter to the Inniskilling Fusiliers (3 weeks ags) and also the Liverpool Scottish ( 2 months ago) but have not received replies.

I have a couple of forum members looking for him at Kew but unfortunately they are having a hassle also. There doesn't seem to be an MIC on him. <_<

Regards

Dee

The battle for Hill 60 took place on the 17-22 April 1915 - got this from regiments.org web site.

Hello Dee

I don't want to deepen the gloom, but actions took place at Hill 60 throughout the whole course of the war.

Andy