The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The OBLI in the Great War - First Year

Hello - I thought I would flag this book:

The Oxfordshire & Buckinghashire Light Infantry in the Great War - First Year 1914-1915 - Reprinted from Volume XXIV of the Regimental Chronicle.

Complied and edited by Lt Col A F Mockler-Ferryman.414pp published by Eyre and Spottiswoode Ltd (no date but likely the 1920s)

It is without doubt one of the best regimental histories I have read. The book is full of very fine detail. It leans heavily on Officers' personal diaries to supplement the main narrative. The main contributions are from Lt Col Davies' personal diary. He commanded the 2nd Bn From Mons to 23rd Feb 1915 when he was appointed GOC 5th Inf Bde. There are at least a dozen other personal diaries spliced into the history which bring some of the actions into very sharp focus and provide detailed accounts of key parts of the histories of the battalions. Some of the diary accounts are surprisingly lengthy. Plenty of contemporary photos and very high quality maps too. Well worth the money. MG

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up I have just received The Oxfordshire & Buckinghashire Light Infantry Chronicle: The Great War 1915-16.

Fantastic detail. Lots of photos, interesting accounts, personal diary accounts, data on drafts, reinforcements, maps, nominal rolls, etc. These books are highly recommended. Probably some of the best regimental histories I have seen. MG

Have you just got a new puppy? (absolutely nothing to do with the topic)

Have you just got a new puppy? (absolutely nothing to do with the topic)

No, an old picture. Now 18 months old. One of two. He is called (Cpl) Jones and the other is (Sgt) Wilson. The Home Guard.

Jones (the character) did serve in the Great War I believe.

I believe he did, and the Sudan too. Nice looking dog, btw. and having hi-jacked your thread, I will leave quietly...

No, an old picture. Now 18 months old. One of two. He is called (Cpl) Jones and the other is (Sgt) Wilson. The Home Guard.

Jones (the character) did serve in the Great War I believe.

Jones (Clive Dunn) served in WW2 and was captured in Greece in 1940, spending the rest of the war in a POW camp. Wilson ( John Le Mesurier) also served in WW2 as a Captain.

The two WW1 veterans were John Laurie ( Pte Frazer) who served in the HAC, but was invalided out, and Arnold Ridley, (Pte Godfrey) who served with the SLI and was badly wounded. Plenty of options for new puppies names there.

TR

Hello Martin,

Do you have the details to hand as to where these reprints can be obtained?

Thanks

Steve

Hello Martin,

Do you have the details to hand as to where these reprints can be obtained?

Thanks

Steve

They have not been reprinted. I got my copies from Abebooks.co.uk I think you would have to pay somewhere in the region of £50 from memory as the Great War period chronicles tend to sell at a higher price. There is currently one for sale at £86 but I think that is over-priced. If you are patient I think you can get them for much less. I am digitising my copies to make them searchable. Should be done in a few weeks.

You could try Tom Donovan at TurnerDonovan books as he has a large stock. If he doesn't have it in stock he might be able to source copies. I buy most of my books via TD. Very reputable. MG

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the information, I misread the "reprinted" in the title and assumed (wrongly" that you had a modern reprint

"The Oxfordshire & Buckinghashire Light Infantry in the Great War - First Year 1914-1915 - Reprinted from Volume XXIV of the Regimental Chronicle."

I agree these book are excellent sources of information and I use them a lot on my "lightbobs" website.

Regards

Steve