The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Thomas Backhouse

Chris Backhouse

I am trying to trace the unit my grandfather surved in during the Great War. I have checked the Medal Index Cards and found 10 Thomas Backhouse's. After doing firther research I am fairly sure he was with the North Staffordshire Regt. in 1918, but I don't know which battalion.

I have checked at the National Archive for his service record (WO 363) and have drawn a blank: I assume that his record was destroyed with the rest, so end of trail.

He was born 4 - 6 - 1899 and I therefore assume that he would not have been sent to France until Dec 1917, when he became 18 1/2 Is that correct?

I remember him telling me, when I was a child, that he was in a machine gun unit that travelled to trouble spots when needed. They were known as a "Butterfly" unit. They had a special sleeve badge with a butterfly on it to distinguish them. I can't find any referances to these units in my research. Does it mean anything to anyone? Whould this help to identify the battalion?

Is it worth contacting the North Staffs Musium in Litchfield? Do they hold lists of past personnel?

If anyone has any suggestions (within reason) I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The 19th (Western) Division's symbol was a butterfly.

http://www.1914-1918.net/19div.htm

The 8th (Service) Battalion of the North Staffs were in this Division.

By your explanation perhaps her served with the Machine Gun Corps. The 246th Machine Gun Company, which later became the 19th Machine Gun Battalion was attached to the Division.

I see that 84071 Pte Thomas Backhouse served with the Machine Gun Corps so perhaps he is your man. There are a number of MGC experts on the forum who may be able to let you know whether this man's unit can be determined from his number.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

Rgds

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for that. I have already been down this road and looked at the MGC man. I found his Service Record At TNA (One of Two Thomas Backhouse's that is on file). He was a Liverpool docker, my grandfather was from Sunderland, and too old. But thanks for the butterfly info. From my aunt's recollections he talked of being invoved in heavy fighting at "Wiper" and this seems to point to the 8th Battn. In 1918 they were drawn into the Battle of the Lys. I'll keep on digging!

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

the staffs museum do not hold any personnel records. My great grandfather was in the Norths Staffs and I have been to the museum twice to try and find information about him (his records do not exist at Kew either). The staff there are very helpful though and have the war diaries of some, if not all, of the battalions.

Chris