The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Uniform identification please

erica236

Can anyone tell if this is an army or navy uniform, possible date, or anything else from the picture please. It was amongst family photos and I have no idea who it is! Not much to go on I'm afraid.

Thank You.

post-102529-0-68387400-1426244232_thumb.

Can you enlarge the buttons, someone might be able to identify them. JG

The buttons look like general service, which tells us little. The jacket (frock)) is one for Frogsmile!

It appears to be an unusually fine quality cloth blue patrol frock of late 1890s pattern. The buttons are GS and he appears to be a Lance Corporal. Collar badges did not really become universal until the 1920s, although regular cavalry certainly wore them much earlier on.

Nor indeed is he wearing shoulder titles, as some blue patrols sported around that time.

Given that the garment was private or regimental purchase until much later, the lack of any regimental ID is surprising ...... without headdress he is not placeable.

Nor indeed is he wearing shoulder titles, as some blue patrols sported around that time.

Given that the garment was private or regimental purchase until much later, the lack of any regimental ID is surprising ...... without headdress he is not placeable.

I think that titles were largely confined (but not in every case) to fusilier and light infantry units on this type of garment.

An unusual feature for an OR is the extreme height of the collar, which together with the fine cloth adds credence to the likelihood of private purchase.

It's been beautifully tailored from a very fine cloth, probably by the regimental bazaar dhurzi.