The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Deciphering Medal Rolls

Guest cybergranny

Guest cybergranny

<We were told that "Grandfather was in WW1" but I cannot find any record of him.

He was born George James Millen, but in 1909 (aged 34) he was calling himself George James Watson when he "ran away" with a married lady and had three sons!? (all registered as Watson) the last one being born in Mar 1914. She returned to her husband and in 1918 he married someone else as G J Millen. Very confusing. I wonder did he have time to "go to war"?

I have downloaded a medal roll for G J Watson, but it does not tell me much that I can understand!!>

I posted the above on "a place to start" and it was suggested that I post the medal roll details here.

It may be a "red herring" of course as I am not sure that it is my grandfathe?

George James Watson. Corps. RFA Rank Gun Regd. No 681625

Victory..(T.F) Roll..RFA/114 B Page..2708

British ______ao - (looks Like)

SWB first /RA/1516 this is written above.......Theatre of war first served in.

Regards.............................Cybrgran

Cybergran

This man was Gunner George James Watson

No.681625 Royal Field Artillery

The references besides the British War Medal and Victory Medal are page references to the full entries in the Medal Roll (ao = do = ditto).

SWB - Silver War Badge awarded for injury or sickness ending his service.

Guest cybergranny

Thanks for that Terry, but how can I find out if it is the person I am looking for??

Will the full entries in the medal roll give me any more clues?

Regards...........................................Cybergran

His service number "681625" indicates that he enlisted in the 1st or 2nd Line of the 2nd West Lancashire Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, Territorial Force. This unit formed two brigades that went overseas: 276th Brigade, RFA TF that served with 55 Division and 286th Brigade, RFA TF that served with 57 Division. Regards. Dick Flory

The Medal Roll may give some more information but it will be about this man. It will not necessarily help you make a link - but worth a try - as is looking for his service record (about a one in four chance that it exists).

Both documents are at the National Archives in Kew.

I would try to attack from the other end as well in case you have the wrong man. If you can find out more about the man you are searching for, it will help.

Do you have any addresses etc?

Guest cybergranny

Thank you Dick and Terry.

He is proving very elusive, but the fact that he was in a Lancashire Regiment ties in with what little we know about his whereabouts.

He was in Salford in 1908/9. He performed at the Hippodrome as a Mind Reader and Illussionist........very apt!

Scotland 1911 to 1913.

He married in Bolton in 1918. Died in Bury 1930.

Unfortunately that is all I have

Regards.........................Cybrgran

Salford, Bolton and Bury are actually within the recruiting area of the Lancashire Fusiliers so they may be worth considering. There does not seem to be a George J Watson listed with this regiment but there are four George Watson's. Do you know where he was in 1914/15/16 or anything else about him? Any photographs or other stories?

Tim D

Guest cybergranny

Sorry Tim, he has been very difficult to trace and I have hit a blank wall. I thought that I may be able to find out more about him through his Military Service but it looks as if I have run out of luck.