The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Have You Forgotten Yet?

stephen p nunn

Just finished reading the First War Memoirs of C.P. Blacker MC, GM - 'Have You Forgotten Yet?' (Edited by John Blacker). A brilliant read made even more special by links to two men that are mentioned and connected with the Maldon area:

Teddy Watson-Smyth (Company commander, No. 1 Coy, 2nd Bn. C.G. KIA August 1918)

and Crawley de Crespigny (OC Guards Brigade).

Teddy used to live in my friend's house - Edwin's Hall, Woodham Ferrers.

Crawley's family home was Champion Lodge, just down the road from me and now a care home.

Great to have these local associations with such a fantastic book.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon.

Hi,

I agree it is an excellent book. My grandfather served 4th CG 1916/19 (2nd CG 1914 and badly wounded at Ypres) and from a discipline entry on his file in Aug 1917 I suspect he was with Blacker's company working on a light railway while the remainder of the Battalion were engaged at Paschendale.

In the latest circulation I received from pen & sword the other week there was mention that the book is now available in paperback.

Steve Y

Hi,

I agree it is an excellent book. My grandfather served 4th CG 1916/19 (2nd CG 1914 and badly wounded at Ypres) and from a discipline entry on his file in Aug 1917 I suspect he was with Blacker's company working on a light railway while the remainder of the Battalion were engaged at Paschendale.

In the latest circulation I received from pen & sword the other week there was mention that the book is now available in paperback.

Steve Y

Brilliant Steve. Great to have that sort of family connection. Thanks for your reply.

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon.

• 3 years later...

I've just finished reading this book and thought it was an excellent , well written and very poignant memoir . It also has an index , maps and a

Dramatis Personae which I found very helpful .