The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Black Watch

sunflower

I have been online to the Black Watch Regiment's website and it states that the Black Watch Regiment suffered 8000 fatalities in WW1. I have been trying to find out the number of casualities sustained by the Black Watch in WW1 but can only find the number of deaths.

Also I would like to know what was the percentage of those killed as I am unfamiliar with the actual numbers serving in the Black Watch during the Great War.

If anyone can help, would really appreciate it. Also I know this is not the forum for it but I would like the total of fatalities/casualties for WW2.

If anyone can give me the link for the WW2 forum I will see if anyone there can help.

thanks, Sunflower ;)

Hi Sunflower,

I've had a quick look at SDGW and come up with the following.

Total casualties - 7932

KIA - 5765

DOW - 1629

Died - 538

Hope this helps,

Derek

Sunflower,

I should have added that in his preface to 'A History of the Black Watch in the Great War', A. G. Wauchope indicates that

'some thirty thousand men served in the Regiment in France, Belgium and Salonica, in Palestine and Mesopotamia, of whom eight thousand were killed and over twenty thousand were wounded'.

All the best,

Derek

Thanks Derek

This is great, really appreciated

Many thanks, sunflower ;)

Sunflower

From Table K of Brig.-General E.A.James "Brittsh Regiments 1914-1918" an estimated 8390 Black watch lost their lives.

(The title I have quoted may be a bit dodgy. I quote from memory which is definitely dodgy)

Regards

Jim Gordon

Hi Jim

Thanks for that. Been a great help.

sunflower ;)

Hi Sunflower and Jim,

I'm not surprised there are discrepancies concerning the total number of Black Watch casulaties. It would be interesting to see the total recorded by the CWGC.

In my collection I have an MM group to L.-Cpl. William McLean Dick, 9th R.Highrs. who is recorded in SDGW as having died of wounds, France and Flanders, 2 November 1918. He actually died of neuritis as a German POW and is buried in Niederzweheren Cemetery, Kassel, Hessen, Germany.

Likewise I have a DCM to L.-Cpl. James Sandilands, 9th R.Highrs.who died on 31 March 1919. He does not appear in SDGW and at the moment I can't say how he died. However he is listed by the CWGC so I presume his death was war related.

From what I've read on this site neither case is particularly unusual.

To some extent I suppose these and similar examples explain why different sources give different figures.

Nevertheless I don't think this would explain the c.400 additional casualties listed by Brig.-General James. I'll have a dig around and see if I can come up with some further statistics.

All the best,

Derek