The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/5th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment

Mark2o

The question I have this afternoon is to if anyone can confirm the specific location of the 1/5th BN. Lincolns during the time period of say May 01, 1917 through May 07, 1917?

What research that I have been able to do via internet is that the 1/5th was originaly a Territorial Force that was attached to the 138th Brigade / 46th North Midland Division?

Upon searching further I was able to find out that the unit was part of the Arras Offensive 9th April - 15th May 1917, and associated actions.

Is it possible or does someone on the forum know where the unit was during the previously listed time frame (May 06, 1917)? The reason for this line of questioning is that I have a War/Victory to a Pte. Joseph Portess who was KIA on May 06, 1917. He was the only 1/5th killed this date and is buried at Maroc British Cemetery in the village of Grenay, which is about 15 kilometres south-east of Bethune.

Thanks in advance as always!

Mark.

From the history of the Lincs.Regt 1914-18....

post-2-1099955528.jpg

...and...

Dave.

post-2-1099955600.jpg

Dave,

I can't thank you enough for the information. You have squarley placed my chap in the middle of things. I wander if he was the one that was seriously wounded and died later on the 6th? :D

Thanks again,

Mark Sikes

I wander if he was the one that was seriously wounded and died later on the 6th? :D

To be honest, I'd reckon he actually was killed on the 6th (during the raid maybe?). He'd probably be listed as "DOW" if he was the wounded soldier from the 4th (I've got him "KIA" on the 6th from 2 sources).

Anyway, here's a trenchmap extract showing Netley trench where the raid of the 6th took place - you can also see Nero Trench mentioned for the 4th May. (this map is from Feb.1917 - as you probably know (or have worked out!) the lines had moved by May, but it's the nearest I can find)

Dave.

post-2-1099962386.jpg

Dave,

Thank you for confirming him as KIA. My initial information on his death came from the CWGC and I belived him to be KIA. Thanks also for the pictures, they are great!

Mark Sikes

Thank you for confirming him as KIA. My initial information on his death came from the CWGC and I belived him to be KIA.

I take it you don't have his SDGW details then?

Here you are.....

Dave.

post-2-1099964310.jpg

Mark,

Might be redunant but here's the actual war diary entry for 6th May:

"Fine & warm. At 3:30am A Coy raided an enemy post, in NETLEY TRENCH. Two parties, North and South, 1 NCO & 7 bombers each Lieut QUANTRILL with Northern party. Northern party to attack post in front. Southern party attack in rear, both parties moving across open. Enemy put down heavy barrage in front of his post. Southern party held up. Northern party got through bombed post and inflicted casualities. Lieut Quantrill slightly wounded no other casualities. Lieut Quantrill showed very?????????"

Unfortunately my copy ends here and starts again on the next page with 8th May 1915. Perhaps Portess was killed after the raid in a German pay-back artillery fire?

You may want to contact forum member Steve Bramley who is the local 5ht Lincs expert.

Jim

HI,

Mark, Dave, Jim,

I do have some more information, but will not be able to post until tomorrow i'm afraid.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve, Jim, and Dave

Thanks so much for all the informattion that you have provided for me!