The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Two Questions: 1.Best 1volume history? 2. Best memoir?

Felix C

I was asked today the two above questions. I replied Trevor Wilsons' Myriad Faces of War and Robert Graves' Goodbye to All That.

What would be your responses to the above questions?

"At the Sharp End: Canadians Fighting the Great War 1914-1916 (Vol. 1)" and "Shock Troops: Canadians Fighting the Great War 1917-1918 (Vol. 2)" by Tim Cook

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger

I am however excited to read Robert Graves' "Goodbye to all That" and also Will Bird's "Ghosts Have Warm Hands", so my answer to question 2, best memoir, may change!

- J

2. There's a Devil in the Drum - John Lucey.

Martin Middlebrook's 'First Day on the Somme' & Bernard Adams' 'Nothing of Importance'.

"Verdun" and "Ghosts have warm hands"

"Verdun" and "Ghosts have warm hands"

Thanks for the recommendation, John. I've just put my order in for your second book.

• Admin

Perhaps you could clarify the question, do you mean best one volume history of the Great War 1914 - 1918, or battles?

I'd nominate Professor David Stevenson's '1914-1918 The History of the First World War' which covers all the belligerent nations involvement not just the UK.

As for memoirs, Graves acknowledged he 'put in all the things people expected' so hardly a reliable witness. I'd go for George Coppard's 'With a Machine Gun to Cambria' for the experience of an O.R. and J. C. Dunn's, 'The War the Infantry Knew' for the officer written in part as a riposte to Graves, 'legends read better than facts'.

In 'Desert Island' style if I can only have one it would be Coppard.

Ken

Just off the top of my head:

Best one-volume History - "The Great War" by Peter Hart

Best Memoir: - a tie between "Old Soldiers Never Die" by Frank Richards and "The War The Infantry Knew" by J C Dunn.

This simply an impossible question to answer - not least define best. Better, even if still not really worthwhile, is to as for 'your favourite'.

I've got, but haven't read, Stevenson, which seems to have many recommendations. As to memoirs, 'Undertones of War' by Edmund Blunden is one I return to a lot.

Thanks for the recommendation, John. I've just put my order in for your second book.

the 1968 1st edition ? has a nice dustwrapper ! also "Surgery on Trestles" the early days of the campaign in Mespot a very good read

the 1968 1st edition ? has a nice dustwrapper ! also "Surgery on Trestles" the early days of the campaign in Mespot a very good read

No, the 1997 paperback. Didn't realise there was an earlier edition. Still it was only £15.

What a difficult question, especially memoirs, Lucey and Richards (already mentioned) immediately come to mind as great examples by enlisted men, but there are so many other fine works. I would have to separate the works by enlisted men and those by officers as they often have a different perspective but are no less fascinating.

khaki

• 4 weeks later...

One book that sits nicely in the middle of the officer/other ranks memoirs is 'Students in Arms' by Alexander Rule. It is a personal memoir set against the background of the experiences of 'U'company of the Gordon Highlanders. It was composed of Students from Aberdeen University, most of whom were officer potential but they all joined up as private soldiers. The book is packed with detail and takes the story up to their destruction at Hooge in 1915. Much insight into day to day trench life written in a straight forward style concerning a close knit group of men 'getting on with it'. J.K. Forbes-sniper sergeant-was one of them!