The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Generals Die In Bed

michaeldr

This book review appeared in last weekend’s ‘Weekend FT.’ I have been unable to find it in their on-line edition and in case it has been missed I att. it here as a JPEG

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-22-1100032109.jpg

BB,

Sorry if my post was misleading; I have not read this book but came across the review and since it does not appear to be covered elsewhere thought that I would bring it to the attention of the Pals who might otherwise have missed it

Regards

Michael D.R.

Pat,

I don’t suppose that Currie got up to much rioting in any French towns.

Perhaps BB can comment on whether or not this novel presents a believable tale. From the review its author certainly seems to have had a modern/unromantic view of soldiers and soldiering in wartime

Regards

Michael D.R.

The book is considered a Canadian novel first published in England after being rejected by several publishers in the United States.

The style is short and blunt; few words are used to clearly describe conditions and situations. I feel it has a style similar to Hemmingway's Old Man and the Sea from the early 1950's.

The book was an interesting read although I tend to look for reference material. However, much like the Journal of Private Fraser or Passchendaele-The Sacrifical Ground, it does evoke a feeling of what it might have been like.

The style is short and blunt; few words are used to clearly describe conditions and situations. I feel it has a style similar to Hemmingway's Old Man and the Sea from the early 1950's.

BB,

Thanks for your comments

I like the ref to Hemmingway’s style; I heard it said that he advised writers to work as if a heavy man was sitting on one's chest

Regards

Michael D.R.

One of my favourite Great War historical history novels is entitled "Higher Command" by Edlef Koppen and published by Faber & Faber of London in 1931.

It a realistic and modest story of one German soldier [a Adolf Reisiger, 96th Field Artillery Regiment] and the men and experiences of His war. This novel does not have the bravado of the Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger - which is perhaps another reason I enjoyed it. I have re-read it once this past summer and could read it again in a couple years.

In my opinion, it has some of the most realistic and descriptive passages of what a heavy artillery barrage must have been like - and this is from the German perspective.

Generals Die in Bed is an AMAZING book! If you search on Google for Generals Die in Bed, it says that grade 9+ should read it, but im in grade 7 and I understood everything! (then again, im in the enhanced learning class a.k.a the smart peoples class) Once again, its a AMAZING book! Ii totally recomend it!

I've been researching Harrison for some time and can offer some information for those interested in this very important but overlooked Canadian war novel. The English editions published so far include:

Hardcover - London: N. Douglas, 1930 (1st British edition)

Hardcover - New York: William Morrow, 1930 (1st American edition)

Mass market pb - Hamilton, ON: Potlach 1974 (Canadian reprint)

Trade pb - Toronto: Annick, 2002 (a "young reader's" edition)

Trade pb - Penguin Australia, 2003 (reprint)

Trade pb - London: Red Fox/ Random House UK, 2004 (just released)

Note: If you're looking to buy online, be aware that the proposed new Canadian edition from McClelland & Stewart has been cancelled... it won't arrive if you order it.

There are also old editions in French, Spanish and German translations, but these are very rare. There's even a braille edition (!) listed at the Canadian National Library.

Harrison wrote a further four novels after GDIB, three of them war-related, all of them only in out-of-print first editions (see www.abebooks.com). They are

- A Child is Born (1931- New York during WWI)

- There Are Victories (1933 - WWI from a war wife's perspective)

- Meet Me on the Barricades (1938 - surreal depictions of the trenches--very different

from the terse realism of GDIB)

- Nobody's Fool (1948 - no war connection but his best novel after GDIB)

He also wrote three non-fictional books and several public housing pamphlets. The books are:

- Clarence Darrow (1931-biography of the famous lawyer)

- Labour Lawyer by Louis Waldman (1944-ghost written by Harrison)

- Thank God for my Heart Attack (1949-an early installment in the "self-help" genre)

Hope this is of use to someone. Would love to hear more opinions/ thoughts about GDIB from those who've read it... its a controversial picture of Canadians in WWI, to say the least.

Cheers all.

• 7 years later...

Read it a while ago and really enjoyed it,his description of battle is very vivid.

The gentleman who ran Potlatch used to live a few streets away; I never met him, but I know someone who lived on the street and knew (of) him. The book used to be on the reading list for a CanLit course at McMaster and copies are still relatively common to find around here at thrift stores & garage sales. At one point I had three or four copies. It is an excellent book. Find it odd, though, that it would be republished as a children's book, as--if I recall correctly--that edition contains a few morbid photos.