Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark I Trench Knife

Rum Ration

Part of a panoramic photograph of the 51st Company, 5th Marine Regiment at Coblenz Bridgehead (Occupation). It shows two Marines in the back row wearing the Mark I trench knife.

No evidence has surfaced yet proving the Mark I was actually used in combat.

post-121135-0-03226000-1428782822_thumb.

I found this photograph of PFC Willard Allen White, Company K, 321st Infantry Regiment, 81st Division, with gas mask, pistol, and trench knife on the Internet.

post-121135-0-75660000-1428783344_thumb.

Rum Rations second picture looks more like a M.1917 knife to me from what can be seen. There is no dispute that these did see service during the GW as there are pictures of a German raiding party with U.S. prisoners and a souvenir M.1917 knife is exhibited by one of the raiders. However the Mk 1 is more problematical, as U.S. production knives were not delivered until just after the end of the War. The French manufactured version by 'Au Lion' were possibly delivered earlier according to French collectors, however this may be wishfull thinking as no one has produced a photo of them in wear that can definitely be attributed to a unit actually in service, as opposed to the Army of Occupation. - SW

The knives appear to be tucked into the belt rather than worn in a scabbard attached to the belt (as I would have expected with an issue knife). Or have I got it wrong?

Phil, - dificult to tell, - the fitting on the Mk1 scabbard can be attached to the belt from either side. It was also quite flimsy so it would be sensible to attach it to the inside of the belt to lessen the chances of it being dragged off during movement thro' shrubbery or wire.SW

The knives appear to be tucked into the belt rather than worn in a scabbard attached to the belt (as I would have expected with an issue knife). Or have I got it wrong?

The scabbard on the American Mark I Trench Knife was fitted with 2 hooks which enabled it to be attached securely to the belt, and worn as correctly shown in Rum Ration's excellent ( and rare ) photograph.

Attached are two photographs showing the scabbard fitting.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-75004300-1429186683_thumb.j

post-63666-0-86702200-1429186764_thumb.j

LF - my comment on the scabbard fittings being flimsy were admittedly comparative (with the M.1917), but were based on having seen several Mk 1 scabbards with a broken securing rivets on the 'hook'. It still doesn't get us any further as to whether they were actually used during the GW, I've been given to understand that the first deliveries of 1,232,780 under contract were to begin in December 1918 and those completed, 119,464, went straight into store to be re-issued in 1942. - SW

LF - my comment on the scabbard fittings being flimsy were admittedly comparative (with the M.1917), but were based on having seen several Mk 1 scabbards with a broken 'hook'. It still doesn't get us any further as to whether they were actually used during the GW, - SW

SW,

I was answering Phil's question.

Regards,

LF

Thanks, gents. I notice the two men in the OP photo, in the back row, are wearing their knives opposite ways around.