The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Leicesters

Guest Chris Wallis

Guest Chris Wallis

Hello everyone. I've just registered with the forum and was wondering if anyone has any information as to the exact position of the 6th Battalion of the Leicesters on the 21st-22nd March 1918. Fingers crossed!

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

The 6th Leics (with their sister battalions the 7th and 8th Leics of the 110th Brigade) were holding positions around the village of Epehy during the first day of the german spring offensive..

From Martin Middlebrook's Kaiser's Battle:

"The defence of Epehy itself was one of the most important actions of the day. A sensible order by the divisional commander, Maj-Gen "Soarer" Campbell, had resulted in ther front line trenches being evacuated an hour before dawnand only small parties of men had been left there to keep watch.....

There were no fewer than 3 battalions, the 6th, 7th & 8th Leics, in and around Epehy, and because of the decision to evaucate the front line early, casualities in the preliminary bombardment had not been heavy. Although the Germans had made a deep penetration on the right, Epehy itself stood quite firm. German soldiers who fought here that morning tell a sorry story of various setbacks. The gas in the German bombardment had blown back in particularly heavy quantities and had badlyaffected the German infantry. therewas also much confusion caused by the fog and by the British counter-shelling, and this delayed the deployment of the attacking German units. These units had then been further confused by the empty British front line and, finally the fog had lifted to expose them to the fire of 3 well postioned battalions of infantry and to the view of the artillery observation officers in Epehy.

Epehy was unusual in that the fog had lifted early around an extremely strong psoition which the Germans fail;ed to encircle. There was no such good fortune for any of the other 5th Army redoubts"

Jim

Guest Chris Wallis

Jim: many thanks for the info on the 6th Leics. The positions coincide with the date and place that my Great Uncle was killed in action. (22/03/1918).

Regards CW

Chris,

Who was your Great Uncle?

If you have an interest in the the Leicestershire Regiment I would strongly recommend "The Tigers - 6th, 7th, 8th & 9th Battalions of the Leicestershire Regiment" by Matthew Richardson (Leo Cooper). I keep going back to it. In addition Epehy (Author - Bill Mitchinson) in the Battleground Europe Series by the same publisher covers the action in that area over 21st-22nd March in some detail.

Dave

Guest Chris Wallis

Dave,

Many thanks for the info. I've just got 'The Tigers' but didn't know there was a book on Epehy itself which is actually where my Great Uncle's battalion (the 6th) were positioned when he was killed. Looks like another one for my creaking bookshelves!! My Great Uncle was Serjeant George Cross, killed in action 22/03/1918, aged 21. He was from March, Cambs., is on the March war memorial (see rollofhonour.com), and was formerly with the Lincolnshires. I think the reason he transferred to the Leicesters was because his wife was from Nocton, Leics. By the way Dave, another great reference book on the Leicester Regiment is '39 Months With The Tigers' by D.V. Kelly M.C. who was a captain with them during WW1,available from naval-militarypress.com.

Regards

Chris W.

Chris,

By mid 1916, when George appears to have joined the Lincs men were being transferred on a regular basis to and from different regts and corps.

Most id not all of Leics men with a 36*** number appear to have to transferred in from one corps or another. I've have a look and see what I can find regarding the Lincolnshire Regt connection.

Jim

William Moores 'See how they ran' (p87) adds:

"Epehy, held by the 6th & 8th Leicesters with 2 companies of Royal Engineers, was only taken after what the germans themselves called a 'heavy blody sacrifice'"

Most of his reference to the Leicesters refers to the 7th Im afraid (of 2 Co's fighting the rearguard action, only 1 officer & 14 OR's fell into the enemy's hands) ...