The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ammo Column R.F.A

Guest scott leader

Guest scott leader

Pals

I have an MM 1914 Bar Trio the MM is named to 2/DAC "Divison Ammo Column".

I'm I right in stating this unit is quite small, used to bring up ammo etc form the

rear. ??

He was with the 36th Brigade, 2nd Division in August 1914, what action's were the 36th involved in August??

From the British Official History, XXXVI was involved in the following:

'[On 24th August] I Corps detailed a special rear guard, composed of the 5th Cavalry Brigade, J Battery, the XXXVI and XLI Brigades RFA and 4th Guards Brigade. It was to concentrate at Bonnet and make an offensive demonstration at daybreak, so as to delay the enemy's leading troops whilst the 1st and 2nd Divisions fell back.'

'...[A] few small bodies of [German] cavalry... were roughly handled by infantry and artillery fire [but] there was no real pressure from the enemy on the rearguard.'

'At dawn on the 28th, a flank guard consisting of 5th Cavalry Brigade, 5th Brigade and XXXVI Brigade RFA was thrown out to the west...'

The next mention is not until September, during the forcing of the Petit Morin.

The Brigade does not appear to have taken part in Le Cateau.

Robert

If you give me your man's name I will be happy to give you the London Gazette date for his award if you don't already have it. Regards. Dick

Pals

I have an MM 1914 Bar Trio the MM is named to 2/DAC "Divison Ammo Column".

I'm I right in stating this unit is quite small, used to bring up ammo etc form the

rear. ??

...snip...

As an example, the Divisional Ammunition Column of the (1st) Canadian Division went to France in February, 1915 with 14 officers, 461 other ranks, 596 horses, 18 mules, 99 4-wheel wagons, 3 2-wheel wagons, and 4 bicycles.

Guest scott leader

Thanks Guy

R flory - the details - 41876 Sjt P M Brisley RFA, the MM was L/G 18/7/1917 but the MIC confirms the awarded of an M.I.D, I cant find the L/G dates for this can you help??

post-2-1100078650.jpg

Scott Leader wrote:

the MIC confirms the awarded of an M.I.D, I cant find the L/G dates for this can you help??

I am not convinced that he ever had an MID announced in the London Gazette. The MIC does state "EM/2/1297" which indicates that the MID emblem was authorized, but at the bottom of the MIC is the statement: "EM/2/1397 MSSd states no trace 10/6/20" which seems to indicate that on 10 June 1920, a section of the Military Secretary's office was unable to trace the award of an MID to him.

The fact that the Military Secretary's office could not find his MID probably means that it was never gazetted. This could have happened for a number of reasons:

1. The initial "EM/2/1397" notation on his MIC was a mistake.

2. The award was made but was withdrawn prior to being gazetted, possibly because of the award of the MM.

3. The award was made but never gazetted.

It does not appear that he was ever mailed the MID emblems. My experience is that when the emblems are mailed there is a notation on the MIC similar to: EM/2/1397, d. 22.6.21.

Regards. Dick Flory