The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Corporal Edward Martin/Sherwood Foresters

Guest u.maddock

Good morning,

I am new to this Forum and really not sure how to word my request??

My Corporal Edward Martin was in the Sherwood Foresters and /or Robin Hood - Rifles.

The only info I have is as follows:-

His Reg no was 265480.

Corporal in Notts and Derbys.

He was awarded the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. Medal Roll gives his battalions as 2/7th and 2/6th.

Is anyone able to explain where and when the 2/7th and 2/6th, served and whether they are the Sherwood Foresters or Robin Hood Rifles.

I would be very interested to know when and where he enlisted - but not sure if this is possible?

I really would be very pleased to receive any guidance/advice/education on how I should be approaching the Forum and if I have done anything wrong - please accept my apologies!

Thanks for reading my message.

Warm regards

Eunice Maddock

The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment) in 1914-1918

2/6th Battalion

Formed at Chesterfield on 14 September 1914. Became part of 2nd Notts. & Derby Brigade, 2nd North Midland Division. August 1915 : formation became the 176th Brigade, 59th Division. 7 May 1918 : reduced to cadre strength, and moved to Lines of Communication. 31 July 1918 : disbanded in France.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/7th (Robin Hood) Battalion

Formed at Nottingham on 19 September 1914. Became part of 2nd Notts. & Derby Brigade, 2nd North Midland Division. August 1915 : formation became the 176th Brigade, 59th Division. 6 February 1918 : absorbed by 1/7th Bn.

The above information was copied from the mother site (click on long long trail link at top of page - gives good advice as to how to research your man)

good hunting!

Hallo Manxman,

Thank you so much for the info you have posted to me on Sherwood Foresters/Robin Hood Rifles - brilliant.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Warm regards

Eunice

Hello Eunice,

The second line battalions of the Foresters ie 2/5 , 2/6 , 2/7, & 2/8 were sent to Dublin in 1916. Just for information. (this may be on the mother site but just in case it isn't)

Stuart

"Is anyone able to explain .... the 2/7th .... whether they are the Sherwood Foresters or Robin Hood Rifles"

Both! The 'Robin Hood's' was the nickname of the 7th (territorial) battalions of the Sherwood Foresters. This comprised of1/7th, 2/7th and 3/7th. The 2/6th was also territorial but not called the Robin Hood Rifles.

"I would be very interested to know when and where he enlisted..."

In terms of locations the 6th battalions were largely Chesterfield / North Derbyshire in origin and the 7th was recruited largely from Nottingham. As to when.....this is no guarantee but many territorials enlisted pre-1914. If your man was, say, over 20 years old in 1914, then if he had volunteered he may well have gone into a 'service' battalion rather than a territorial one.

To help you may I plug my own website which has a special section on the Sherwood Foresters, and advice on how to pursue research, that you may find useful - http://www.ahesketh.demon.co.uk/

"if I have done anything wrong - please accept my apologies!"

Don't be daft! Keep the questions coming, it keeps many of us off the streets.......... :ph34r:

I now have a little more info on my man Edward Martin, as follows:-

Corporal Edward Martin

Service No. 265480

He served with both 2/6th Battalion (T.F.)

and 2/7th (Robin Hood) Battalion (T.F.)

The Sherwood Foresters Roll, gives following info;-

His name/Rank/Service No.

Shown in 1929 Regimental Benevolent book and served 9 and a half years with the colours and was aged 37 years.

Holds BWM, VM

Lastly, it gives his address in Nottingham

I also have 02 photographs of him (received today, great joy!!!) I can't send images - I don't own a scanner!

The first one shows him sitting on a horse, wearing his uniform with a cap (similar to those worn by officers) and he has lanyard round the top of his left sleeve.

This was taken by a studio at Chester Road, Watford and on the back is written -

Ted to Mable (sic) 1915 Nov 15th. Looks as though it might have been in the grounds of the barracks?

The 2nd photograph - again in uniform but no hat - on his left sleeve/cuff, there are crossed rifles and below these are 02 vertical stripes/badges???

I also know he was in the Geneva Barracks, in Ireland - why would he be here

Please, is anyone able to help this old biddy to find out a little more about Edward Martin.

Thanks to Stuart & Andrew for sending me this info and yes Andrew, I will go and have a look in your site - like now!!!

Re - my ignorance -thanks for your generosity and I feel the same - the computer keeps me off the streets and stops me frightening the kids & animals.

Thanks.

Warm regards

Eunice

Eunice

I have the complete war diary for the 2/6th Btn.

Contact me off forum.

Regards Doug.

Eunice

If you look at the bottom of anyones posting you will see email click on it.

Regards Doug.