The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Civilian Bomb Disposing Earl

Guest Freelancewriter

Guest Freelancewriter

Hi everyone, I am not sure if this is the fright forum for advertising my book, a biography of 20th Earl of Suffolk & Berkshire, GC, 'The Civilian Bomb Disposing Earl'. It has just been released by Pen & Sword, UK - http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Civilian-Bomb-Disposing-Earl-Hardback/p/7855. Jack Howard was an extraordinary man, just like his Howards ancestors before him. At the beginning of WWII he was sent by the British government to Paris on a very Top Secret mission to bring back all the heavy water in the world. Later on, he became a pioneer in bomb disposal in its early days, perfecting a method of defusing bombs that saved many lives.

For more details check out my website : www.kerinfreeman.webs.com/ email: kerf@slingshot.co.nz

I saw your post on the GC researchers page, it looks a good read, when will it be on Amazon?

Mick

Is there any Great War content? If so, it would be as well to highlight it for us.

Moonraker

Hi

With him when he was killed was John William Hardy from Walsall Wood.

He is commemorated on the Walsall Wood RoH and is buried in the church here.

REgards,

Graeme

• 1 year later...
Guest Freelancewriter

Hi everyone, sorry its been so long. 'The Civilian Bomb Disposing Earl' has now been published - please see: http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Civilian-Bomb-Disposing-Earl-Hardback/p/7855

Charles 'Jack' Henry George Howard, GC, 20th Earl of Suffolk & Berkshire, born into the noble formidable House of Howard, possessed extraordinary courage. Jack became an earl at the age of eleven after his father died in WWI in Mesopotamia.

At age thirty-four, Jack's courageous spirit led him to execute a daring mission for the British government in 1940 in Paris. Under the noses of the advancing Germans he snatched top French scientists, millions of pounds worth of diamonds, armaments, heavy water (the only kind in the world), and secret documents. His trip back to England from Bordeaux was fraught with danger in mine and submarine infested waters. His mission remained Top Secret throughout the war years and beyond, even to his closest family. His adventure in Paris earned him the nickname of 'Mad Jack'.

His next chosen mission was again of prime importance and extremely dangerous, a secret more closely guarded than radar. He began working in bomb disposal in close proximity with his secretary Beryl, and Fred his chauffeur, and the three became widely known as The Holy Trinity. Whenever an unexploded bomb was reported, it was quickly brought to the Earl's attention, especially if it was tricky. Thirty four bombs were successfully defuzed by The Holy Trinity and their loyal team of Royal Engineers. The thirty-fifth bomb blew them up.

The Holy Trinity were the only World War II civilian casualties working in Bomb Disposal. King George VI in 1941 awarded the 20th Earl the George Cross for his work for his country, the highest gallantry award for civilians, as well as for members of the armed forces, in actions for which purely military honours would not normally be granted.

Full size cover of Jack's book courtesy of John B.jpg

Thank you, Graeme for John Hardy's details.

His brother Greville lived in Luxembourg for many years, dying in the late 1980s. He had previously been an MP.

I knew him, but not well, and only heard his family connecion not long before his death, from some other friends who had known him for a long time.

20 hours ago, Freelancewriter said:

At age thirty-four, Jack's courageous spirit led him to execute a daring mission for the British government in 1940 in Paris

Presumably born in 1906, so I suppose Jack could have done something during the Great War as a very young lad?

Moonraker