The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fremantle Voices of the Great War by Andrew Pittaway

ShirlD

A number of us were reunited at the launch of Andrew's Book yesterday at the Army Museum in Fremantle. It was a great occasion and his book

is the culmination of a decade of research, and commitment to tell the story of a community. I am looking forward to getting into it this week as we make our final preparations here to remember and reflect on 100 years ago when our soldiers arrived on the Gallipoli peninsula.

Cheers

Shirley

Hello Shirley

Read the above: -

I have an autograph book from 1915 signed by ANZAC troops travelling from parts of Australia to Freemantle on board a troopship named A73. Some of the information from the book I have listed below and dates.

If you know of someone who would like some information from the book or the names/dates inside please let me know. It is something I have had for many years and may just help someone's research.

The ship Left Melbourne 26th Nov 1915 and arrived Freemantle 1st Dec 1915.

7th Rifles 22 Btn. 7th Rifles 23 Btn and 7th Rifles 24 Btn.

They then left for Ceylon 18th Dec 1915 and arrived Egypt 29th Dec 1915.

Sergents Mess / Officers mess etc.

There are many names, ranks and in some cases home addresses which may be of use.

Kind Regards

Garry Mac

Thank you Garry, what a fascinating piece of history you have there. I have just the person to alert to this!

Cheers

Shirley

Congratulations Andrew, job well done.

I was stoked to be able to be down to attend your launch. A nicely, LOCALLY prodced book you can be well pleased with.

The voices of Fremantle's servicemen and women from the Great War are now resonating.

Cheers

Ian

Well done Andrew.

Scott

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Delighted to receive my copy yesterday; Peter Bennett kindly brought a copy back from Australia and posted it to me. Andrew has done the men and women of Fremantle proud.

Michelle

I received my copy earlier this week. An excellent production, well researched and easy to read.

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...