The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gallipoli: The Dardanelles Disaster in Soldiers Words and Photos

michaeldr

Available (12th March) in time for the centenary of the landings, this book can now be pre-ordered from the publisher see http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/gallipoli-9781408856154/

The work is a tandem effort by two well known authorities –

our own GWF Pal 'Krithia,' the well known battlefield guide and author of four guide books on Gallipoli,

and Mr Richard van Emden, whose other writing on the men of the Great War will be equally well known to most.

I've ordered mine and look forward to seeing the previously unpublished photographs as well as some newly brought to light personal reminiscences.

I'm with you on this Michael and will be ordering my copy this week. At £22.50 for the hardback looks good value compared to the £21.99 for the e-book !

Regards

Pompey

Edited by Pompey

Quote from Stephen Chambers' interview with M Onur Yurdal which is to be seen here

http://www.geliboluyuanlamak.com/566_%E2%80%9CWhat-is-different-in-my-approach-is-to-concentrate-on-a-small-geographical-area-of-Gallipoli%E2%80%9D-An-exclusive-interview-with-Gallipoli-Campaign-Researcher-Stephen-Chambers-(-M--Onur-Yurdal-Tuncay-Yilmazer).html

“I have also just finished a book with co-author Richard van Emden, called 'Gallipoli: the Dardanelles Disaster in Soldiers Words and Photographs'. This represents more than 130 never-before-published photographs of the campaign, many taken by the soldiers themselves, together with much unpublished written material from British, ANZAC, French and Turkish sources. So still today, there is much to discover about Gallipoli 100 years on.”

On another thread Richard was telling us about this forthcoming book. It is similar in approach to his recent 'Tommy's War' which is good news as that is an outstanding work.

David

I'm with you on this Michael and will be ordering my copy this week. At £22.50 for the hardback looks good value compared to the £21.99 for the e-book !

Regards

Pompey

Pompey,

I know nothing about technology, but have some experience of printing and bookbinding.

If one is not using all that labour, machine time and material, paper and board, then I too would have thought that the saving should be more than 51p per copy

Someone somewhere is doing all right out of e-books

regards

Michael

Michael,

you can understand a certain amount for the time and effort involved in researching and writing a book, but without the printing and material costs you would expect a maximum price of 60-75% of the printed price at most.

Regards

Pompey

• 3 months later...

Gallipoli: The Dardanelles Disaster in Soldiers' Words and Photos by Richard van Emden and Stephen Chambers

I have just downloaded this book on kindle for less than £5. Great value. An interesting read that goes over familiar ground for those well versed in the Gallipoli campaign. It does however include a few diary accounts that are new, and for this reason alone it is worth reading. Many of Stephen Chambers' Gallipoli photos also feature, some of which are appearing in print for the first time.

The amazon page includes some very positive reviews.

MG

Are the pictures fine in the Kindle edition? I have some Kindle books where they are clear, but one where it's hard to be sure if they are pictures or ink blobs.

Are the pictures fine in the Kindle edition? I have some Kindle books where they are clear, but one where it's hard to be sure if they are pictures or ink blobs.

The are very clear on a Kindle Fire and on the Kindle App on an iPad.