The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

canadian soldier

pol o frithil

i recently saw two documentaries.

the first one was a about a canadian soldier who was supposedly crucified to a shed door by the germans. was this true or was this fiction.

the second one was about the soldiers who executed on the the orders of douglas haig for the following , shell shock, refusing to were a wet cap,his father was in a prisioner of war camp and his mother was dead, he was thinking about his younger brother and sister and not on his job, the other soldier was executed for deserting his post, this man was in the middle of no man's land with three others and retreated to a shell hole while under fire.how can this be classed as deserting your post.

under haig's orders there were three hundred executed and only 23 by the germans during the four years of the war.

i think should have been tried for murder.well that is my opinion.

pol

i recently saw two documentaries.

the first one was a about a canadian soldier who was supposedly crucified to a shed door by the germans. was this true or was this fiction.

There was quite a discussion about this story when it aired on UK TV (last year?). I think the opinion was that it was a false story.