The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regimental Number

Ian C

I have been asked by the sister in law of a work colleague if I can find out anything about his Great War service. Family stories have it that he was Number 288682 in the 5th Middlesex and that he spent some time in Italy. The home site says that the 5th did not leave these shores. If we assume that the Middlesex is correct, is it possible to tell which battalion by his number?

Thanks in advance.

IanC

Ian,

The number is a Territorial Army number. The six digit numbers were introduced in 1917 to replace the previous regimental numbers. In the Middlesex Regiment, 288682 was in the batch allocated to the 9th Battalion. However, this battalion served in Mestopotamia, not Italy. Have you been able to trace his Medal Index Card on the National Archives Site?

Regards

Gavin

Gavin,

Thanks for that. Had a look on line at the index but I couldn't see a likely candidate, so that will have to wait for my next trip to TNA.

Regards

IanC

GavinH Is there a listing of those six-digit service numbers available somewhere? I'm primarily interested in matching numbers stamped on kit to units, rather than to individuals. With thanks.

The list I used is in 'The Collector and Researchers Guide to the Great War' by Howard Williamson. Unfortunately, the same batch of numbers were issued to different regiments. So you need to know the regiment before you can work out the battalion. I suspect the list wont be much help to you if you only have a number to work with, as more than one man will have had the same number.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin,

Does this book you refer to list all regiments' six-digit numbers?

For example are you able to tell me which battalions 203848 Royal West Kent Regt and 242334 East Surrey Regt were in? ;)

Does it provide regimental blocks for five-digit numbers as well?

Bert, I found one copy on bookfinder.com at 200 pounds for the set of two (and signed by the author) if you're interested.

Regards,

Matthew

I would also like to ask the members for help regarding regimental numbers.

My grandfather Private Charles Badrick had two numbers Northampton Regiment

Number 25626 and his final regiment the 13th Essex 41485

I wrote to the Northampton Regiment for any information regarding his service with them.They were unable to give me any.I know he enlisted in Tring possibly in 1915.

I believe that he left for France to the Essex Regiment in Sept 1916. Has the number issued to him by the Northamptons any signifcance to his actual enlistment date and the

training Battalion of the Northampton Regiment he was attached to.

Cheers

RobB

Matthew,

203848 West Kents = 4th Battalion

242334 East Surrey = 6th Battalion

The book only shows the 6 digit numbers introduced in 1917. £200 does sound a lot. I bought both volumes for £50 I think. Volume 1 deals with medals, and has the information on service numbers. The author is a member of this forum (collectorsguide), and I think he still has some avaliable.

Regards

Gavin

Rob,

As the Northants Regt and number appears on his Medal Index Card, Pte Badrick must have first served overseas with this regiment. The Medal Roll should therefore indicate the actual battalion he was serving with.

Regards

Gavin

Ian,

It took me some time to establish that my gf enlisted in the 16th battalion, gained a temporary commission in the 5th battalion, but was posted to the front with the 2nd battalion.

Evacuated from France with shell shock in May '16, he returned to light duty with the 5th in Jan. '17.

I would recommend that you look for Middlesex battalions that served in Italy.

Hope this helps.

Justin

Gavin,

Thank you very much for that information. It's greatly appreciated. I'll have to look into that.

Regards,

Matthew