The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books on Gallipoli

HQTANKS

I certainly did! It is described as 'Miltonic prose,' and that sums it up for me. An interesting chap, though,

Bob

HQ,

Re Foster, my edition is the 1918 edition.

The order of pages is -

Title page published by Mills & Boon

Date of publication 1918

Dedication to Commodore Oliver Backhouse

A Foreword by Admiral James Startin, 30 Jan 1918

A Foreword by Archdeacon H S Wood Feb 1918

Author's Preface

Thanks for the info Bob, I assume now that the catalogue had it wrong-no frontis. I am persisting with 'Muster' but only as it is a fine copy of the original edition and nice to handle-if that doesn't too sound weird!

Kind Regards

HQ

Until recently my interests have centered around the Australians, New Zealanders and Newfoundlanders at Gallipoli. I am particularly interested in the Common Soldier.

Now I have started to expand my interests to include the British, Indians and Zionist Mule Corp. I have seen some very interesting titles posted on this thread which I have added to my 'Want List'.

In your opinion gentlemen, what is the best book on Gallipoli written by a Common British soldier?

One of my favourite personal accounts is 'Gallipoli as I saw it' by Joseph Murray ,William Kimber , 1965.

Until recently my interests have centered around the Australians, New Zealanders and Newfoundlanders at Gallipoli. I am particularly interested in the Common Soldier.

Now I have started to expand my interests to include the British, Indians and Zionist Mule Corp. I have seen some very interesting titles posted on this thread which I have added to my 'Want List'.

In your opinion gentlemen, what is the best book on Gallipoli written by a Common British soldier?

HELLO RR

Although books written by 'other ranks' contain chapters relating to Gallipoli, very few concern the campaign exclusively. I agree with BM

about 'GALLIPOLI AS I SAW IT' a book which was published in 1965 and is fairly easy to find a copy of. 'The Straights Impregnable' is a very good account but you may be aware of it anyway being an 'Aussie' account. An interesting and unusual account is 'Lost Endeavour-A Hotchpotch of Gallipoli Memories' by Charles Watkins privately published in 1970. It is written very much in the common soldiers vernacular and full of anecdote. Unfortunately it is rare.

Regards

HQ

MORE WITH DUST JACKETS]

Thanks for listing your jacketed copies, Bob. Apart from the Monash & the Hatton, which I have, the rest seem to be post-WW2 which is outside the scope of my website. More books for me to read though.

HELLO RRAlthough books written by 'other ranks' contain chapters relating to Gallipoli, very few concern the campaign exclusively. I agree with BMabout 'GALLIPOLI AS I SAW IT' a book which was published in 1965 and is fairly easy to find a copy of. 'The Straights Impregnable' is a very good account but you may be aware of it anyway being an 'Aussie' account. An interesting and unusual account is 'Lost Endeavour-A Hotchpotch of Gallipoli Memories' by Charles Watkins privately published in 1970. It is written very much in the common soldiers vernacular and full of anecdote. Unfortunately it is rare.RegardsHQ

Thanks blackmaria and HQTANKS.

Yes, I have 'The Straights Impregnable' and I have started searching for a copy of 'Lost Endeavor- A Hotchpotch of Gallipoli Memories'.

Any other other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Even ones written by officers.

Did any Turkish veterans write about their Gallipoli experiences?

Thanks blackmaria and HQTANKS.

Yes, I have 'The Straights Impregnable' and I have started searching for a copy of 'Lost Endeavor- A Hotchpotch of Gallipoli Memories'.

Any other other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Even ones written by officers.

Did any Turkish veterans write about their Gallipoli experiences?

Hello RR

The only accounts from the Turkish side translated into English that I am aware of are 'From The Dardanelles to Palestine' written by an Armenian serving with the Turks and of course 'The Campaign in Gallipoli' by Kannengieser who was a German serving with them. As for readily available Officer accounts ' Make me a Soldier-a Platoon commander in Gallipoli' by Behrend is very good. 'With the Incomparable 29th' by Muire is also very detailed as is 'Gallipoli Diary' by Gillam. There are many more written by officers but the ones I have mentioned you can probably find copies of usually on ABE

REGARDS

HQ

• 2 weeks later...

Treat Albert Facey's A Fortunate Life with care. Despite claiming to be at the landing and giving a dramatic account of it, and claiming to be wounded twice, his service record shows he arrived at Gallipoli on 7 May, twelve days after the landing, and there is no record of him being wounded. He was evacuated with heart issues. Others have also found Facey's account is spurious on other matters. It makes great reading though, but treat what he says with skepticism.

On Crunchys post regarding the Facey book, there is another thread on this. I dont think Chris did his homework on Facey being wounded, nor did he view the copius pages Albert Facey hand wrote over the years, beginning in the 1930's, all of which maintain the same story. I only found a few things that were incorrect, and believe me, I had a darn good look and spent some hours with the Facey family, with more to come as time permits

Sure the service record says that, and having viewed hundreds and hundreds of service files over the years, I think Albert Facey could quite easily have been at the Landing when one reads his manuscripts and not the book itself, and bearing in mind the odd inaccuracy in service records. Some interesting landing detail in the manuscript, but not the book.

Frankly, the Facey non presence at the Landing argument for Chris' book was pretty much unnecessary and appears only to have been included to put the no machine gun argument. For me, disappointing.

Its a very good read, Facey that is, as some 750, 000 others that have copies probably concur. I will report back on the Facey thread when more comes to hand. More thorough research is required.

Ian

Thanks everyone for this truly amazing evolution of the Gallipoli list.

Hazel C

• 2 weeks later...

On Crunchys post regarding the Facey book, there is another thread on this. I dont think Chris did his homework on Facey being wounded, nor did he view the copius pages Albert Facey hand wrote over the years, beginning in the 1930's, all of which maintain the same story. I only found a few things that were incorrect, and believe me, I had a darn good look and spent some hours with the Facey family, with more to come as time permits

Sure the service record says that, and having viewed hundreds and hundreds of service files over the years, I think Albert Facey could quite easily have been at the Landing when one reads his manuscripts and not the book itself, and bearing in mind the odd inaccuracy in service records. Some interesting landing detail in the manuscript, but not the book.

Frankly, the Facey non presence at the Landing argument for Chris' book was pretty much unnecessary and appears only to have been included to put the no machine gun argument. For me, disappointing.

Its a very good read, Facey that is, as some 750, 000 others that have copies probably concur. I will report back on the Facey thread when more comes to hand. More thorough research is required.

Ian

So what you are saying Ian is that Facey’s claims are are to be believed, but his service record is not. I’ll let others decide for themselves.

In A Fortunate Life he says he sailed from Sydney to Perth in late September 1914, stayed a few days at home and then enlisted. In the next chapter he says his group moved to Swanbourne rifle range at the end of October. He claims have joined the Battalion at Lemnos and to have landed under heavy machine gun fire with heavy casualties on 25th April, and later to have been wounded twice: once shot through the jaw and after attending the RAP returned to the trenches, and secondly when hit in shoulder with a piece of an artillery shell, resulting in him being evacuated and eventually discharged.

His Service Record and Attestation Paper shows he enlisted on 4th January 1915, and his signature is the same date. He was posted to the 3rd Reinforcements of the 11th Battalion on 18 February 1915, and the Embarkation Rolls for the 11th Battalion shows him sailing with them on 22nd February. His Service Record shows he was taken on strength of the 11th Battalion at Gallipoli from the 3rd Reinforcements on 7 May 1915. His casualty form B103 has no record of him being wounded, but records he was admitted to 1st Australian CCS on 19 August 1915 with heart trouble, and embarked on HMHS Ulysses on 21 August. The refrence to his heart condition is mentioned six times on his B103, yet there is no mention of any wounds. Further his account of landing on North Beach is at odds with others of the 11th Battalion and the 1st Field Company who landed there, who reported light casualties, including the Medical Officer of the 11th Battalion.

Frankly, I would rather accept Facey’s Service Record than his claims written down after he returned to Australia. Undertaking detailed research of personal accounts is one thing, evaluating all of the evidence is another. Other information passed to me which also disputes Facey’s claims in A Fortunate Life in his civil life, his claims about the fight at Leane’s Trench, and the story behind the publication of the book simply reinforces my view that Facey’s book is largely manufactured. However, if you wish to take Facey on face value and believe his notes written well after the event, and not his Service Records written at the time he served so be it.

​

Chris

I stand by all I have said about this subject, and I will continue to dig further on it. I also stand by the copius numbers of service records I have viewed over the years, some of which are date incorrect on wounds, sickness and so on. And then the ones that don't relate wounds that show up elsewhere in other records. That I dont need to justify to you that is for sure. That just boils down to further research.

Agreed, others can make up their own minds. Mine remains open on Facey having done a good bit of digging and which remains ongoing.

Interestingly, if he wasn't there on 25 April, then it was little more than a cheap shot for your no mg argument and unworthy of what is otherwise a good read. Glad I am still entitled to an opinion as well.

Ian

• 2 months later...

well Ii bit the bullet and purchased "Diary Captain Harvey Blease" not cheap but very interesting, no publisher/date of publication shown, quite a bit about this chap on the net, however no mention anywhere of his diary apart from the copy I have just purchased.

Regarding the Foster book, was anyone else struck by this line:

"Title page published by Mills & Boon"

This struck me as unusual, given the current range of books published by the company. So, I looked on t'internet and found, to my surprise that the company was founded in 1908 as a general fiction publisher, although their first book was, prophetically, a romance.

Ah well, it all goes to show that the line "you learn something new every day" is true!

• 4 weeks later...

hi all,

This is a very impressive list... congrats to those who read them all...

I'm maybe repeating one that's been mentioned, but did not see it while browsing through the list... I recently found a Gallipoli book on the flea market: "A Chaplain at Gallipoli: The Great War Diaries of Kenneth Best", edited by Gavin Roynon, 2011.

haven't read it yet, but for one euro, could not leave it ...

MM.

Marilyne,

A very good purchase, I can recommend it and the other books Gavin Roynon has edited.

A FEW MORE FOR THE GALLIPOLI LIST-

Flemming K (ed):-A letter to Norah, on the death of an Anzac at Lone Pine- -Publisher:-Escutcheon Press

Hannan E F-:-Twelve Months With the Anzacs- Publisher:-Ferguson & Co

Laseron C-:-From Australia to the Dardanelles -Publisher:-John Sands

Levitt J K-:-Anzac Diary, a nonentity in khaki- Publisher:-Treharne

Peabody E-:-Experiences in the Dardanelles

Pilling E G-:-An Anzac Memory. Extracts from the Rough Diary of Lt. E G Pilling - Publisher:-Stanton Bros

Also on Gallipoli, be it a delicate question: true or not?? bit exagerated??? not talking about the movie, which was "un navet" !!

Nigel McCreary's "All the King's men"

it's about the lost company of the Sandringham pals. I liked the story and the fact that it was turned into one of those myths that stick to mind. One of my best friends told me he heard about this story of men lost in the smoke of a battlefield as a kid, and was very happy that I could find him the true story and the book.

But I'm not saying it's a masterpiece ...

M.

• 3 weeks later...

This title Die in battle Do Not despair The Indians on Gallipoli 1915 is well researched and documented. It is also currently widely available for about half the published price.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

25 April 1915 - The Inevitable Tragedy by Denis Winter, published 1994 by University of Queensland Press

Considering when it was published, I found this book very good indeed regarding the Landing at Anzac . Some great detail and info provided on the complexity of the operation and insight into the ultimate reasons for failure to gain certain prescribed objectives.

He had access to Akers stuff, although he mistook Faik for Aker in the text. A few other mis identifications like George Mason DCM for Landing of 11 Bn is recorded as 7Bn, no doubt as he initially fought inland of Fishermans Hut part of that first day. That aside, I think he was way ahead of his time with this book, which is now hard to get. I got lucky a few months ago and picked it up for $12 from an online Military bookshop in Australia.The copious notes and sources hint at the books quality and depth of research well before the digitized age of records.

I think a must have book for anyone interested in the Landing at Anzac.

Ian

I know the first one of these is out of the date range mentioned in the original post - but I thought I'd add them to the list anyway as they are a valued part of my small collection on the subject and, as someone once said - a picture is worth a thousand words.

Images of Gallipoli - Photographs from the collection of Ross J Bastiaan, by PA Pederson, 1988. All the photos in the book were probably taken by Surgeon CHS Taylor, RNVR.

The Dardanelles - Colour Sketches from Gallipoli, by Norman Wilkinson, 1915.

Both are well worth searching for.

The Dardanelles - Colour Sketches from Gallipoli, by Norman Wilkinson, 1915.

Just a quick word of warning for anyone thinking of buying the Am*on reprint of this. The quality is unbelievably appalling - the lowest resolution possible of the images, and they are mostly b/w. I returned it almost immediately.