The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt George W Norman DLI 1915

Guest bramshott

Trying to find out more information on my great-grandfather who we unfortunately know little about.

Was a Sergeant in the Durham Light Infantry (poss 15th) in 1915. I have his medal records showing he was given the Victory medal and 15 Star on I believe 11/9/15.

Reg number seems to be 10832 from the records, but am unsure if this is correct and medal records also seem to mention Labour Corps and possible duplicate Reg No. - would that be possible?

Married Edith Shepherd (or Harris) on 4th August 1914 - however we can find no record of the marriage!

Lots of deadends and therefore the service record of Sgt Norman might be the way forwards.

Any help appreciated

You may download your mans Medal Index Card here.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

I suppose this is the information that you already have. He seems to have had two regimental numbers in the DLI. This not out of the ordinary. It appears that he then served with the Labour Corps which is also a pretty common occurrence. In many cases men went to the Labour Corps after they were wounded and were unfit for further front line service. A man who transferred between Corps or regiments was usually issued a new regimental number.

Have a look at the link to the Long Long Trail at the top left of the page. Go to grandad's war and this will tell you how to continue searching.

Rgds

Tim

Bramshott

Any information of age, where he lived, where born, etc.?

SN

Assuming that he survived the war,you could search the Absent Voters` List 1914 but this would only give you his number and home address,which you may already have but learning where he was living then might give you clues to look for in the 1901 census.---or earlier ones

Hi all

Unfortunately I have no information of where he was born, DOB - but his birthday may have been 24th July (this is from his daughter's diary - however it might have been relating to something to do with his service!)

He possibly trained new recruits on the breakout of war - though I have no firm evidence of this - and at some point was posted to the camp at Witley (Rodborough Hill) near Godalming, Surrey.

I'm not 100% sure that 10832 is the right man - however with so little to go on, it is a start.

In June 1916 he vanished and was never heard of again - at first my Grandmother was told by her mother that he had died (I can find no record of him at the war graves) and then later that he had left them to live with someone else!

Thank you for all the help so far - any further leads would be most appreciated

brian