The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Rfn Charles Frederick Welsted

harribobs

I am hoping for some help from the KRRC experts here, I have at last been able to download the MIC for my grandfather, Rfn Charles Fredick Welsted R4488 KRRC

(I will attach a copy of it as well) Family history says he was wounded three times and gassed once ( MIA but found later at Netley Abbey) He survived the war but would not talk about it.

We have been trying to find what battalion he served with and where, and were hoping the MIC might have some of the answers but alas not.

Would the service number R4488 be an indication of the battalion?

Is there any reference books or any online sources of information for the KRRC that could help or be of interest?

I understand I would be might be able to get more info from the NA but I am unable to get down there in the immediate future

many thanks in advance!

chris

post-1-1100177501.jpg

Chris,

The R prefix in the KRRC denoted New Armies, ranging from R-1 through R-58003 +.

Will be at the NA tomorrow,cannot promise, but if I get some time i will check his medal rolls for you which should give battalion. Have a fairly full day but if possible will try.

Andy

Andy

If you could mate, I would be very grateful!!

The New Army reference makes sense as he wasn't a soldier by trade, and I assume the low number would make him an early recruit in the service battalions (7th onwards)

(according to the family history, he said he joined up as he was very patriotic, my grandmother said it was to get away from the babies crying)

chris

Chris,

Pulled your Grandfathers Medal rolls for you, he was in the 13th Battalion of the K.R.R.C., if you e mail me off forum i will arrange to get them to you.

Hope this helps you.

Andy

Andy

Thank you very much!

I have just had a quick look at the 37th Div history on the mother site, very impressive

several pints of belguims finest in the pump for you when required! :D

cheers

chris

Chris:

Found this on the 1901:

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Charles Welsted 27 Ratcliff, London, England Head Ratcliff London

Charles Frederick Welsted 7 Bromley, London, England Son Ratcliff London

Eliza Emily Welsted 26 Ratcliff, London, England Wife Ratcliff London

Emily Welsted 5 Limehouse, London, England Daughter Ratcliff London

Chris,

Glad it was of help to you, Medal rolls will be in post tomorrow. The beer sounds great.

Andy

Chris:

Found this on the 1901:

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Charles Welsted 27  Ratcliff, London, England Head  Ratcliff  London   

Charles Frederick Welsted 7  Bromley, London, England Son  Ratcliff  London   

Eliza Emily Welsted 26  Ratcliff, London, England Wife  Ratcliff  London   

Emily Welsted 5  Limehouse, London, England Daughter  Ratcliff  London

Hi Gord

yeah they're my family! and today I have discovered Charles Fredericks father (charles joseph) number one on your list also served, RASC and Labour Corp

my side of the family are still using charles as a family name and all this information will be there for the little uns when they grow up! (everyone else is still waiting for me to grow up btw)

Chris,

Glad it was of help to you, Medal rolls will be in post tomorrow. The beer sounds great.

Andy

thanks again mate

post-1-1100298511.jpg