The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New member with 3 Enquiries

jemm

Hello all my name is Jemm I am from a small town in Rossendale Lancashire. I have always had a intrest in the Great War but it wasn't until recently whilst researching my family history that I discovered some family members had taken part and been killed.

The first one I came across was a Arthur Jones a Private in the East Lancashire Regiment 8th Battalion who was killed during the battle of Arras on 28 April 1917. I did originally think that the photograph I posted in the other area on the board was him but have since found out that the Cap Badge dosen't match the East Lancs. I do know his younger brother Fred joined R.A..M.C a forthinght after Arthur's death but belive he survived and have recently found the announcemt of his death in the local paper of the times which gives details of his Captain and friends. My other soldier relative was a Private Gordon Whittaker I have no information on what battle he was killed in other than his death occured on July 13 1915.

Also on Tuesday of this week I found out that another member of the family enlisted from a small village called North Creake in Norfolk as a Blacksmith. I have no idea what year he enlisted or when he was injured all I know is that although he was a Blacksmith and thought he would be failry safe he ended up seriously injured and in hospital for 2 years. I would be intrested to know if anyone had any ideas about hospitals in the Norfolk area that dealt with Casualties or anything about the kind of regiments he was likley to be I have just assumed it would be some kind of calvalry.

Jemm,

The C.W.G.C show a Gordon Whittaker killed on 30th July 1915. I think this must be the chap you mention because a cross reference with soldiers died list the man living in Rawtenstall, which I believe is near to Rossendale. He served with the 8th K.R.R.C and is remembered on the Menin Gate. I am not an expert, but I believe there was severe fighting in the region of Hooge on 30/7/15, where in the morning the Germans exploded a mine, before using flame throwers. The British lost some ground which they tried to regain in the afternoon. I'm not sure if the 8th K.R.R.C were involved, but I'm sure this could be established.

Spud.

Thankyou very much Spud for the information. Yes Rawtenstall is actually one of the main towns in Rossendale. :)

Also on Tuesday of this week I found out that another member of the family enlisted from a small village called North Creake in Norfolk as a Blacksmith. I have no idea what year he enlisted or when he was injured all I know is that although he was a Blacksmith and thought he would be failry safe he ended up seriously injured and in hospital for 2 years. I would be intrested to know if anyone had any ideas about hospitals in the Norfolk area that dealt with Casualties or anything about the kind of regiments he was likley to be I have just assumed it would be some kind of calvalry.

Hi Jemm

Welcome to the Forum. If this family member was discharged due to this injury he may well have been awarded the Silver War Badge. If this is the case then the War Badge Rolls will give the date he enlisted and indeed the date he was discharged, usually, but not always, these two dates are also shown on the Medal Index Cards.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Jemm

I'm currently researching my village's (Walsingham) history. I have about 100 folk who left the village to work in and around Rossendale - in fact a recently discovered second cousin lives in Rawstenstall. Walsingham is about 3 mile from North Creake. If your relative travelled to Lancs he would almost have certainly left from Walsingham station.

There was a WW1 convalescent home in Walsingham in an elizabethan house called Berry Hall. In fact my great aunt met her future husband who was recovering there. That he came from another village close by suggests that soldiers may have been sent nearer to home where possible. Therefore your relative may well have been staying there.

Hope this helps

chris

www.walsingham-memories.co.uk