The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Surrender of Jerusalem to British Forces in 1917

Resurgam13

It seems well known that the Mayor of Jerusalem, Hussein Salim al-Husseini, "attempted to deliver the Ottoman Governor's letter surrendering the city to Sergeants James Sedgewick and Frederick Hurcomb of 2/19th Battalion, London Regiment, just outside Jerusalem's western limits on the morning of 9 December 1917. The two sergeants, who were scouting ahead of Allenby's main force, refused to take the letter. It was eventually accepted by Brigadier General C.F. Watson, commanding the 180th (2/5th London) Brigade" (Wikipedia) and there is a famour photograph (below), captioned as follows:

"The Mayor of Jerusalem, Dr Hussein Salim al-Husseini (with walking stick and cigarette), with his party under a white flag-of-truce, attempts to deliver the Ottoman Governor's letter surrendering the city to Sergeants James Sedgewick and Frederick Hurcomb of 2/19th Battalion, The London Regiment, just outside Jerusalem's western limits on the morning of 9 December 1917.

The two sergeants (fourth and seventh from left), who were scouting ahead of General Allenby's main force, refused to take the letter, which was eventually accepted by Brigadier-General C.F. Watson, commanding 180th Infantry Brigade. The resplendent figure at the far left is Habj Abd al-Kadir, Chief of the Jerusalem Police Force."

However, I recently acquired a battered copy of "The "Kensingtons" 13th London Regiment" formerly owned by Sergeant S. N. Cowan (490870) which highlights the account of the surrender and claims that the keys to the City were first offered to him. Is there any way to verify this?post-110514-0-48989800-1431421872_thumb.post-110514-0-27238300-1431421873_thumb.post-110514-0-58920100-1431421874_thumb.

It seems well known that the Mayor of Jerusalem, Hussein Salim al-Husseini, "attempted to deliver the Ottoman Governor's letter surrendering the city to Sergeants James Sedgewick and Frederick Hurcomb of 2/19th Battalion, London Regiment, just outside Jerusalem's western limits on the morning of 9 December 1917.

There have been other previous GWF Threads on this topic, which may answer your question.

Here is a link to one :-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=170505

Regards,

LF

Many thanks for the interesting link - but there is no mention there of Sergeant Cowan, although it seems there may have been more than one key?

Hi

I read absolutely everything I could find on this for a chapter in a book I've got coming out later this year on the 1917 campaign in Palestine. It isn't always easy to piece together exactly what was offered to who and when as there is so much myth or repetition of hearsay.

As far as I can work out, the Mayor first met Privates Albert Church and R W J Andrews of the 2/20th London, and then moved on and found the two sergeants. I don't recall any mention of a Sgt Cowan.

Are you sure that this note was written by Cowan himself, or could it be written by a relative based on a misunderstood or misremembered family story?

Cheers

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

I included the image of the front end-papers as Cowan's name is at the top-left and appears to be in the same writing as the note on page 317. However, two things: the signature and note are in ballpoint pen (ballpoints were not generally available until after 1945), and there is an older note on the bottom margin of page 317 which has been covered by the white address label but, unhappily, it is impossible to read the original.

Kind regards,

Geoffrey

• 1 year later...

Hi Resurgam 13/ Geoffrey     Re  Sergeant S. N. Cowan (490870) 

I've just seen this. Sergeant S 'Noel' Cowan MM was my grandfather. I can fill you in about your book and written comments, if you wish to contact me through my website

http://profjohnatkinson.simplesite.com/  

I'm very happy the original copy has a good home! Some years ago I managed to get a reprint of the book, so I've read all the details and have a good idea of the story, which I'm happy to share with you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

John