The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3409 Pte. Ernest Gibson, 52 AIF

9th Black Watch

I've recently aquired a pair to the above soldier but haven't been able to find him on the 52nd Bn. Embarkation Roll.

Gibson appears on the online Nominal Roll as a Pte. in the 52nd, discharged on 11 March 1919. The roll also gives the date 20 April 1917 - the date he enlisted/joined the battalion?

The 52nd Embarkation Roll includes a soldier No. 3409 - Pte. Owen Bennion Price, 9th Reinforcements, who left Sydney, NSW, HMAT Ayrshire, 24 January 1917.

I'm in the process of ordering Gibson's papers but wondered if anyone could give me a bit of guidance. Is it likely that he first served in another battalion?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Derek

Derek,

The Nomonal Roll on the AWM site lists the unit he was serving with when he was finally discharged from the army. This is not necessarily the same unit he embarked with. His service papers should clear the matter up.

Tim L.

That's strange as when there are two soldiers serving in a unit with the same number, one of them usually has to have an 'a' after their number to avoid confusion.

As Tim says his service records should be able to clear up what unit he went away with.

Derek,

According to the National Archives he was from Bundaberg, Queensland. He had a relatively low number for his late enlistement date so I had a bit of a look at the other Queensland Battalions in the 3rd, 4th and 5th Divs. I found him with the 8th Reinforcements of the 42nd Battalion.

Rgds

Tim

Andrew is correct in saying that if a man went to a battalion where a man already had the same number an A was added. I have seen one or two who arrived at new battalions and kept their number. I believe this would most likely occur if the man who was allocated the number originally as part of a reinforcement group did not embark with that group and was went to another battalion or unit.

Rgds

Tim D

Good work finding his reinforcement group Tim. :D

I've noticed that a couple of times 'b' also appears after a name, which means that there have been 3 people in that unit with the same number. Though haven't seen a 'C' yet.

I vaguely remember having seen one 'c' but don't hold me to this. Sounds as though Gibson was with the 42nd and not the 52nd. Maybe a typo somewhere.

Tim L.

Cheers guys,

Fantastic stuff. I wasn't sure if the nominal roll showed the Battalion he first served in or the Battalion he was serving with when discharged.

I've ordered his service records and will post further details when they arrive.

Thanks for all the help,

Derek

Very interesting Andrew/Tim. Have never even seen a B myself. I did have a look at the 42nd Battalion nominal roll in the unit history Derek. The roll was compiled of members who 'discharged' from the 42nd Battalion and he was not there. It appears he embarked as a reo for the 42nd Battalion but was then transferred to the 52nd Battalion. The 52nd had received a few very good hidings by the time your man got there so not out of the ordinary. There were actually a lot of Queenslanders in the 52nd. I had relatives who served with both battalions.

Rgds

Tim

Hi Tim

From what I understand of it the 52nd was originally formed out of D & 1 other Company of the original 12th Battalion. D Company was West Australian and so the original 52nd had a fair few West Aussies in it though many of them became casualties in the battle at Mouquet Farm.

The majority of the reinforcements after the original unit was formed came from Qld.

It's a very interesting unit which was commanded by Colonel Pope (of Gallipoli fame) in 1917.

One of the Fremantle soldiers I'm researching was awarded the DCM & MM while with the 52nd.

There's a historian over here who is set to write the 52nd history.

(It must have been a good unit with soldiers from WA, Qld, Tas & SA) :D

Cheers

Andrew