The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Destined for the skip

MikeyH

I was able to rescue the other day a battered copy of 'The Pageant of the Century' by H.V.Morton, this was published by Odhams Press in 1933. The format is a comprehensive pictorial review of the years from 1900 to 1933. Sport, entertainment, ladies fashions, various forms of transport, plus newsworthy happenings are covered, with a text page listing the principal events of the years. Around a third of the book, some 230 odd pages are devoted to the Great War. There are some excellent images from various theatres of war plus coverage of life on the home front, has anyone else come across this title?

Also makes you wonder just how much 'period stuff' is still being thrown away, dumped or discarded, any other examples?

Mike.

No, but H V Morton was a pretty prolific author (and controversialist).

Not to be confused with J B Morton (Beachcomber in the Express)

I was talking to the lady who organizes the book stall in our local doctors. It is more like a lending library really, paperbacks 50p, hard backs £1, in fact it is a great service in a rural area. Anyway she says that loads of books have to be sent off to be pulped as there is such a low demand and once every few weeks they have to do a cull, and it is the culled books that are pulped. Apparently the same thing is happening in charity shops where there is such a small demand for books. I have never thrown a book away, which is probably why we have bookcases in every room, yes including the bathroom.

Several years ago I bought the Lusitania "medal" still in its box from a prison officer I worked with for a few quid, he found it in a skip.

Andy,

Have been following your thread with great interest, well done. Many years ago found next to a dustbin (as they were in those days) a cut out outline of a German Heinkel bomber, around 10" long. This had been made from perspex from the cockpit of a shot down example of the aircraft in 1942. Amazing what some people throw away.

Mike.

I can't top this one. Some yrs back, the brother in law of a friend of mine lost his father. He was on bad terms with his step mother. 2 days after the funeral he went over to get the things his dad had kept from his 25 yrs in the army, he was a retired Colonel. His shrew of a stepmom toldhim she had set ALL of his things at the street for the garbage collectors to take & they had the day after his dad's death! There were swords, medals, records, citations, photos, uniforms, all the things one would expect a retired officer to have. He was stunned & left to keep from harming her. He went to landfill but of course found no trace, likley buried under tons of gargage. He put ads in paper, contacted museums & militaria dealers, til this day not one item has ever surfaced that he knows about. She put the stuff in garbage bags so the garbage crew probably did not know what was in them. Such a tragedy! The items were left to his son in the will which by the time it was read they were long gone. He finally recd some monies but all bis Dad's history thngs gone forever.

When the widow passed away, he threw a big party to celebrate it.

As stated, so much history goes in the trash & lost forever. So sad.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe how uncaring some people can be Loader, and why is it so often in-laws? My Father had a number of World War 1 things willed to him by his Grandfather, but his Grandmother, who was otherwise a lovely woman, threw them out as she didn't want him to be obsessed with military things. They included a Turkish sock with blood on it from Gallipoli, a bayonet, gas mask etc. He isn't as interested in historical stuff as I am but he was still upset about it. Its almost enough to make me cry!

There is a large shop in Swansea that gives away old books! Run by a charity of sorts and I'm not sure how it works but the attendant did invite us to 'help yourself' (within reason, I dare say).

Bernard

Similar kind of shop in Evesham, run by a charity, books are free. I found a guide to collecting antique firearms from the 1960's, which says of the SMLE rifle:- ' there are plenty about, priced from £2 to £10 according to condition'.

Happy days indeed!

Mike.