The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldiers recruited from an area

Guest jeffgerhardt

Guest jeffgerhardt

Hello

I am researching what units from a particular area (Haringey in London) were recruited to which battalions. Many of the residents from this area were enlisted into the 1/7th and 2/7th Middlesex Regiment (Territorial), but after that, it is difficult to determine, although many went to the London Regiment. I'm hoping to find roughly 2-3 more battalions (most likely from the London Regiment) that attracted a significant number of soldiers from this area. Any tips?

"Soldiers Died" CD-Rom is not too bad as you can search by battalion and place of residence at the time of enlistment. But unfortunately, I can only find about 10% of the soldiers that died from this area, so I need more data.

Local newspapers are somewhat useful, but often only list the regiment and not the specific battalion.

I don't wish to spend a lengthy amount of time collecting large amounts of information, so I'm sort of looking for quick info.

thanks

Guest Northumberland

see: http://www.prole.demon.co.uk/middlesex/suppinf.html

There used to be, and maybe still is , a small museum at the Drill Hall in Priory Road, Hornsey, London N8 which was dedicated to the volunteer soldiers who served at the Hall

The major units represented are :

3rd Middlesex Rifle Volunteer Corps;

The 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment;

The 7th Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment;

The 5th Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment;

D (Middlesex) Company 5th Battalion, The Queen's Regiment;

B (Diehard) Company 6th/7th Battalion, The Queen's Regiment;

B (Albuhera) Company, The Queen's Fusiliers;

B (Queen's Regiment) Company, The London Regiment.

Guest jeffgerhardt

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I am hoping to make a trip to both the NAM and the Drill Hall at Priory Road, Hornsey at some point.

I did find a very useful supplement from the Hornsey Journal in October 1914 which lists of all those "in khaki and blue" who, as far as they knew, were serving at that time. It includes names, address and battalion. Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine if the soldiers were in the e.g. 1/14th London Scottish or the 2/14 London Scottish. Sometimes, it will say London Scottish (reserve battalion), but rarely, which makes me assume that the difference was not made.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a similar list in the Wood Green and Tottenham Weekly Herald newspapers. In fact, the difference in coverage regards the war between the Journal and Herald is striking.

Thanks again for your response.

Jeff Gerhardt

I would recommend looking at the Absent Voters List for Haringey for 1918 (if it survives - could be in Bruce Castle?)

Although the list is dated Oct 1918, it is based on returns collected between Feb and Aug 1918. Close examination of this will show whether there is a bias towards certain local units. The bias will not be big, but it will be there, with say 1 in 25 or 30 men being shown as Middlesex Regt. The AVL usually gives the battalion, and it will give the 6 digit post March 1917 Regimental number which should allow a reasonable guess as to 7th or 8th Middlesex. Cross check against the Medal Rolls (not the MICs) should give the 1/ or 2/.

You should find that the AVL shows an echo of the recruitment in the area in 1914 and 1915. Bear in mind that many of the Labour Corps and MGC men may well have originally have enlisted in local units. This may show up if you search for them using the MICs online which will show service overseas in previous units.

I'm researching the 19th London Regiment (St Pancras) which was affiliated with the Middlesex in 1916. A number of the 19th Londons ended up with the 1/7th (about 60 men) and 1/8th Middlesex (about 20 men) in 1917 and 1918. Some may well have gone the other way. I also have several from 2/10th Middlesex.

The only other battalion of the Londons that were affiliated to the Middlesex were the 7th Londons, so you may find some of your local men with them.

Charles

Guest jeffgerhardt

Charles

Thank you for your very useful response.

I will have a look at the Tottenham, Wood Green and Hornsey Voter registers at Bruce Castle Museum soon. I never thought of that! Great idea.

Also, although I think your idea of looking at the Medal Rolls is a very good idea. It sounds like it may take quite a while to collect all of the data (?)

I think in the long term, it will be something to take up, but I'm hoping to make a vague determination over the next few days.

I may focus more on Hornsey than all of Haringey. Hornsey had a large number of soldiers in the London Scottish (14th London), Queens Westminsters (16th London)and Artists (28th London) in Oct. 1914.

I think I'm going to focus on their experience and the 1/7th and 2/7th Middlesex from 1914-1916.

If any other thoughts pop up, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Jeff