The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Under The Devils Eye

Guest marythomsom

Guest marythomsom
As my grandad was there in 1916, Salonika became very important to me, but like many of the 'sideshows', info on this campaign is a bit sparse. Thanks though (YET again) toChris Baker and 1914-1918.net, I was able to get an understanding of this much overlooked Macedonian theatre. Alan Palmer's 'Gardeners of Salonika' (1965) (his dad was there too), whilst it has one of the coolest titles, was a bit of a slog. I so wanted it to be the definitive book on Salonika, and it was, until 'Under The Devil's Eye' by Alan Wakefield w/Simon Moody, which to me is the dogs ******** on the subject.Recently I've posted links to other books written at the time, and whilst fascinating, they are not for the beginner....most of them make Palmer's book seem an easy read. Alan Wakefield brings the gardeners to life,and he knows his sh-stuff....he also does tours of the area, and if ever anyone can trace my grandads steps, it would be him. But thats next year. Until then we have 'Under The Devil's Eye', which is, for me, the definitive work on Salonika. The unit war diaries of my grandad, who was part of the 27th Division, 81st Brigade, 1st Royal Scots. They were part of the British Salonika Force, which included Irish and Canadian regiments, whom my grandad fought alongside. I know this from the 1 R/S war diaries, which tells me this. Alan Wakefields book fleshes out the story, in a thoroughly readable way. General Erich von Falkenhayn, referred to Salonika once as his largest Entente prison camp. I dunno....I'm kind of glad my grandad was there....though 'Under The Devil's Eye, shows that it was no picnic...like all areas of ww1, it sucked.
By: Geoff Harrison
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205563271750035&set=pb.1499770540.-2207520000.1429605038.&type=3&theater

Mary

Indeed an excellent book by the undoubted expert on this campaign.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started researching my Grandfather's service record in Salonika I acquired a copy of 'Under the Devils Eye' and I confess to being somewhat confused by the Army structures, the various different units, the terminology and so on, however, it proved to be an invaluable resource as my research progressed. Then about a month ago I decided to reread it in it's entirety. I now have a much better understanding of the battalions, brigades and divisions, the geography of the Balkans, the political situation and so on. As a result the book made a lot more sense to me and my enjoyment of it was greatly increased. So if you have a copy and you haven't read it for a while, I heartily recommend you reread it as I did, it is excellent.

Take care folks, next you'll be reading the Official Histories as well. After Alan's book they give you quite a lot of detail that is not really pulled together anywhere else. N&M have reprinted them, and originals can still be found.

Keith.

There is no substitute for visiting the battlefield with Alan. However you should be aware that it can be addictive.

Keith