The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Last Great Cavalry Charge - released today

joerookery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1781551839/ref=s9_simh_bw_p14_d6_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=15SN31EZ4DHAAXBPEBPM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=524491667&pf_rd_i=266239

Nice relatively short story in the English language that talks about a critical event that transpired before the BEF even arrived on the continent. A really little-known story that had a major impact but there were no English language participants.This will change your view of what happened in 1914. Ever wonder why the Germans did not find the BEF? This might have a great deal to do with it. This was the same hapless German cavalry division that fought the British later at Nery. If you are inclined to do battlefield touring this Battlefield is largely unchanged, and seldom visited by English-speaking guides. There is a fantastic museum in the village. Chronologically this was not the last charge. However, it was the last great one and included four complete regiments!

Thanks Joe, I will be buying a copy and look forward to reading it; as you say there isn't much in print about the early weeks of the war in Belgium.!

Thanks Steve. You're so right I was hoping for something in the latest book by Zuber but was sadly disappointed.

Its a little cheaper on Speedyhen 11.56 delivered.

Well there you go! Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Halen / Belgium last Saturday:

The book was presented to the owners of Battlefield Museum "Slag der Zilveren Helmen":

wrkifk.jpg

View in the direction of the farmhouse-in the centre of the battlefield, The stronghold in the Belgian Main Line of Defense

Belgian Artillery was positioned on the hillcrest-the main objective for most of the German charges.

14waemv.jpg

Glad you liked it Carl. Even though I said we were done writing it looks like another book project is raising its head. Heavy stuff from Belgium. Looks like we will be making another trip. While your beer and french fries cannot be much improved perhaps I can explain barbecue to you guys a little bit!

Thank you David! I think this book goes a long way towards straightening out many of his "biases". While The Great War Dawning took on all aspects this is a short, fun (less expensive) story that starts clearing the way to truth. I loved your comment in your note “I thought myself well read on cavalry but it was all new to me and underlines the ineptitude of German cavalry doctrine to a degree that even Zuber would find fit impossible to commend.”