The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MSM- Meritous Service Medal?

Ali Hollington

Hi,

Tracing my family tree I have found a Harry Skilling, this got me excited as I have a photo of a Cpl in the MGC which has been named by my grandma as Harry. A search of the online MICs at the National Archives brings up an award to a Harry Skilling a Sgt in the Labour corp of the above medal. I haven't tried researching it but wondered what its qualification etc where.

Regards

ali

Dear Ali,

The MSM is one of Immediate Awards,

Rank eligible - Warrant Officers, non-commissioned officers and men.

Awarded by the C.-in-C. under authority delegated by H.M. the King.

Whether evidence of eye-witnesses is necessary - NO

Remarks - For acts of gallantry not in presence of the enemy. In such cases a recommendation may be added that the recipient should be awarded an extra 6d. a day if he ultimately retires on a pension. G.O.C. making the recommendation must state on form whether this additional 6d. a day is recommended or not.

My reply is based on the "Instructions Regarding Recommendations for Honours and Rewards" issued by the Military Secretary's Branch in 1918.

Regards,

Kang

Hi Ali,

Good to see you at the NA the other week. If its any good to you i have the Meritious Service Medal book by Ian McInnes which lists all recipients with dates of their award in the LG. Will take it along next thursday for you to look at, might help a little with your research .

Andy

It was also awarded for distinguished long service, as it is solely now, for NCOs and men already in possession of a LSGC who are especially recommended for their diligence after 21 or more years' service.

Richard

Ali

From "The MSM - Immediate Awards, 1916-1928" (McInnes), the LG date for Sgt. Skilling's MSM award is 17 June 1918 (page 7167).

Hope this helps.

Kind rgds

Ed

One further snippet; the Labour Corps were awarded 1,114 MSM's which included 13 for gallantry and 938 for operations in France & Flanders (McInnes).

I'm sure someone with an interest in the Labour Corps can reveal more.

Ed

You beat me to saying... 'and he isn't in my MGC H&A database, so his MSM must be Labour Corps' !

Once again cheers folks.

Ed- Haslingden- I believe is in East Lancashire- now my Harry was born in London- St Pancreas and was still in London in 1901 at the age of 13. So maybe the MSM winner isn't my man.

Ali

Richard, I think that the time period is 27 years not 21 years as you stated (unless the rules have changed) since I was awarded mine.

John