The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Book Preference

Khaki

Question ?, if you are faced with two Great War books, same title, same author, but one is a new edition soft cover, new intro etc, the other is a first edition but of no great collectors value, a little time worn but otherwise intact which one would you buy? I just made that choice and chose the old one even though the new edition was cheaper by a few dollars.

khaki

Right choice!

I would always choose the original edition, they are usually better quality than the cheaper paperback copy and I feel that they somehow, especially with memoirs,

bring you closer to the author and the war itself . Before they were replaced with original editions I did have some nice quality modern hardbacks, with new introductions,

that I thought about keeping , but I sold them as I needed the space and the money came in handy as well.

The one exception is a 1993 hardback, 2nd impression copy of 'There's a devil in the drum' with a new introduction by Terry Cave which I purchased new when it first

came out and even after I was lucky enough to find an original 1938 signed copy I decided to keep the reprint , because of the new intro and because it's in mint condition,

and most importantly it's probably one of the best Great war memoirs ever written.

Although I have read it, a decent copy of D in the D has always eluded me. It is one of if not the best rangers account of the war. I always prefer the original but in some cases have both original and new either by accident or design. Is there a cure?

Although I have read it, a decent copy of D in the D has always eluded me. It is one of if not the best rangers account of the war. I always prefer the original but in some cases have both original and new either by accident or design. Is there a cure?

I very much doubt it :D

No problem - buy them both then cut out the new intro and slip it into the original. From a collectors point of view the original will probably increase in value, the modern reprint never will.

DJC,

Thanks but there is nothing that could bring meno way to cut up any book, perhaps a copy inserted though.

David

DJC,

Thanks but there is nothing that could bring meno way to cut up any book, perhaps a copy inserted though.

David

To be honest, David, I don't think I could either. I'd end up keeping both which is why my garage is full of them!

To be honest, David, I don't think I could either. I'd end up keeping both which is why my garage is full of them!

Sounds familiar :)..anything I can get my hands on ..in text