The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Irish rifles/Canada WW2

markinbelfast

I've a pair to 6987 Pte J Ritchie of the Royal Irish Rifles...along with these came mounted a Canadian Vol service medal and war medal...is it possible to find out of the man had WW2 service with the Canadians..

Also on the mic there is listed an man of the same name and number but he is listed as a Royal Irish Fusilier?....is there a hiccup or could he have transfered from the Fusiliers into the rifles and kept his same number...medals def marked as a rifleman!

thanks in advance!

Mark

Mark

If you can prove the man had died at least 20 years ago or have written consent for his family you could request his service records from the National Archives.

If he was in the Canadian Army he would likely have done his service in Canada unless he has the silver bar on the CVSM which denotes overseas service. I do not know how to check for him as there is no data base for WW2 vets as of yet I know of. I do not know also if the archives can do a check without a serial number but you could always try.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

Hello Mark,

Any idea what Battalion he was in? When the 6th RIR were disbanded in May 1918, many of the men were transferred to other Irish Battalions in the 10th Irish Division. My granduncle was transferred from the 6th RIR to 2nd Irish Fusiliers. He didn't keep the same number, though.

Regards,

Liam.

Mark,

The bar on the CVSM indicates service outside Canada (sixty days minimum I think), so it was possible to be based in Newfoundland (then not part of Canada) and receive the bar. Canadians who spent at least six months in the UK received the Defence Medal as well.

:( Cheers folks....no idea what batt he was in...but I see the fusilier one ended up in the Yorkshire Light Infantry!...but then again medals marked to a rifleman!!