The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

role card number info

Guest madeline

Hi could someone help me please?

I paid to download my fathers roll card and i don't really understand it.

What i wanted was to find out which battalion of the Middlesex regiment he was in.

This is what was on the card.

Crudge

Wilred f Middlesex r Private

Medal

Victory E/1/102B16 2668

Hope you can shed more light on this

Regards Madeline

Madeline,

You downloaded the Medal Index Card (MIC)

The

Victory E/1/102B16 2668 (and the british war medal should show " )

lists the page refference in the medals role books at the National Archive. If you were to consult the medals rolls at the NA then it will probably include info as to the battalion. This info is not available online.

There is info on researching soldiers on the mother site 'the long long trail' and also at the NA.

L.

That is poor info for £3-50p even for someone as tight as me! The simple search reveals at least a number and regiment. To pay £3-50p for the privilege to receive a code tp go to NA is a bit of a cheek.

BTW , is it true that what also should be included is the name & address of the medal recipient? I heard that when the MIC were being photographed , they only did one side , then destroyed the cards thereby losing the name and address info.

I am reseaching out local War Mem here in Wales. Lots of Jones' , Williams' Evans' etc! Grrrrrrrr , very frustrating!

Glynnpot the Curious

Glynn,

The MIC can show very basic info but can also give info on the date the soldier entered the war (france etc), it may show other units that the soldier was in and other regt numbers etc etc.

Some are basic and some are not.

There are lots of threads and images of MICs on this forum, have a look and you will see the variety.

I dont know about the revese side of the card but do remember read somit about it once.

L.