The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

15th Highland Light Infantry

Mark Hone

Do any forumites happen to have a copy of the battalion history? One of our boys, Lt Frank Cain was killed at Ayette on 13th April 1918 and is buried at Gezaincourt. A few years ago the Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum kindly sent me a photocopy of the relevant section of the book -unfortunately they sent me the wrong chapter! I've been too embarrassed since to ask them for the correct one.

Mark, yes I have a copy of this history. I will e mail you and I am sure we can sort out which bit you would like copied

Regards

Adam

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately the 15 battn War Diary has not survived - I've spent a long time in the PRO trying to find it! There's a good official history - "The History Of The 15th Battn, Highland Light Infantry" editied by John M'Callum and published in 1924 by the 15th Battn HLI Association.

If anyone has a copy of the above, please let me know as I'm looking for one.

My former landlady's father, then Lt Fletcher, was awarded an immediate MC with the 15th HLI during the March retreat; he stayed in - was with David Niven in Malta - and had his own 'force' (a mobile column) in East Africa in 1940 when he was a Brigadier; there was a family legend that he fell out spectacularly with the GOC East Africa.. but his immediate DSO citation speaks otherwise! Ended the war as a Major General on the staff of the British Mission in Washington. Medals are in the HLI museum.