The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Another 'War Horse' ?

MikeyH

We are all familiar with the Michael Morpurgo book, hit West End Show and Film. Back in the 1980's I read another novel with a very similar theme set in the same period, boy meets horse, horse goes to war, followed by boy, then an emotional re-union and rescue. The title was 'Jack', unable to recall the name of the author. This was an adult work rather than one written for children, has anyone else seen or read this book? I wonder if this pre-dated the Morpurgo book, or was just an attempt to cash in on an already successful story line.

Mike.

Good Morning Graeme

No. this was a novel, a pretty thick paperback.

(I have a copy of 'Galloper Jack'. the other Jack Seeley book)

Mike.

Could it be 'Jack' by Brian Carter. One man's love of a horse from Devon to the front line. Published in 1988

"horse goes to war, followed by boy, then an emotional re-union and rescue" totally sums up the awful melodrama which is the agenda driven Morpugo's book. The play is worse - relieved only by the skill and invention of the horse puppets and there operators. Private Peaceful is far better, but that gendaflutters strongly in the Mulpurgst breeze

There is a sound book by Jack Seely about his horse - titled Warrior - which you might be of interest to you.. Seeely was a great horse lover and a friend of Munnings which is well worth reading Whilst not short of ego, Seely was a cavalryman during, and charged with cavalry during the Great War. Winston Churchill once said that Seely had recommended his soldier servant for a Victoria for his services at Antwerp. Seeely apparently wrote that the man had followed him everywhere. On the face of it this seems sheer arrogance - yet perhaps Seely expected bravery from himself as part of the job and behaviour expected of an officer and gentleman and considered his 'man' to have conducted himself with behaviour 'above and beyond'.

Could it be 'Jack' by Brian Carter. One man's love of a horse from Devon to the front line. Published in 1988

D.J.C.,

Yes, that's the one, remembered as a well written book, have not read 'War Horse', so unable to offer a comparison. Although did enjoy the film, with some reservations.

David,

Will have to read 'Warrior', although I do have 'Galloper Jack', the 'other' Jack Seeley book.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...

Avoid the book on Seely by Brough Scot, who is apparently a horse rapping journo an a descendent. I adds nothing whatsoever to Seely's own works.