The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Beech

Hi Ian

I cam confirm it was something I prepared myself listing those men of Nottingham who died that day whilst serving with Northumberland Fusiliers ie Samuel Ashmore, Arthur Loach, Frank Smith, Edward Beech my relative, George Abbott and Joseph Widdowson who died of wounds and is buried at Harlebeke. I left a copy at Bellewaarde and a copy at the Menin Gate which I intended people could look at and remember these men. I still have a copy and will not need it back

Regards

John

Ooops! My very well-intended colleague, doing the site clearance) put it into my car (thinking that it had been forgotten) whilst I was doing something else whence it reappeared last night.

I can ask a friend to replace it at the location of the Stone but I suspect its lifetime might be short. Alternatively, it could go to Niek Benoot at Hooge Crater Café and Museum or to the Documentation Centre (Kenniscentrum) attached to IFF where it would be be accessible to those searching for information about the Fifth (perhaps all three if you produced rather less expensive paper copies rather than the laminates)

I'm afraid my only picture of the road train is internal, and has the ugly mug of a London Jock in what could only be called extreme close up. I'm using it to scare the birds.

However, I did take this of the memorial at the end of the ceremony.

Ypres%200615%20053.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
My pleasure. Once my house move is complete at the end of the month and my library is unpacked again, I will also check the quite detailed and thorough published history of RJB 26, of which I possess an original copy. I would guess that your man's battalion (II./248, if I am correctly reading his entry as indicating that he was with the regiment's 6. Kompagnie) was probably in the line when he was killed, but it is possible that this was not the case and that he was with a working party or similar.

I have now been able to check the history of RJB 26. The Saxon Jägers took over the RIR 246 sector (Bellewaarde Süd) on the night of 8th October, supported by Feld-MG-Zug 387. So when your man was killed, RIR 246 was out of the line and RIR 248 (or rather one battalion thereof, with a second in support and third in reserve) was in its usual sector (Bellewaarde Nord). According to RJB 26 this was a very quiet period, and also a foggy one requiring extra attentiveness on sentry duty. The British were believed to be busy working on their trenches. Apparently the sole offensive action undertaken by the Jägers on this three-day tour was directed against the 'mouse plague' (it specifically refers to mice rather than rats, which is a bit unusual), apparently with firearms; however the dextrous Ltn. Appelt managed to catch one with his bare hands.

It looks like Ersatz-Reservist Leo Levin was very unlucky indeed to get killed during this quiet period.

• 5 weeks later...

Reading this string fills me with such admiration for all the respect and honour given to the fallen of the 16th.

From my point of view the 16th went well. My group and I were welcomed by the Liverpool Scottish. It was a wonderful service and the new memorial looks a treat!

In the afternoon my group assembled for the short service at the Hooge Crater Museum. I was so pleased to see so many others who wished to join us.

At the service I read a few words of why were there and how important it was. I ten read a poem that had been written for the service and finally I read 'For the fallen'. Andi will be pleased to know that I had typed up the words to 'Der gute Kamerad' and this was read in German and English, which was so important for the followers of Bellewaarde 1915.

The next day I too found a folder, this on at the Menin Gate, it was worse for wear due to the weather the night before. I wiped it over and stood it up at the top of the first steps with the wreaths hung behind it. Looking at the content I knew that it was John who left it and I had a good idea of why!

Thank you Martin

I didn't expect them to survive long but it was important to me to leave something at both Sites on the day. You have the information they contained, but next time i'm in Ypres I will leave a copy with the memorial registers. Will be in touch directly

Regards

John

John, I am quite happy to arrange for the one that ended up in my car when we cleared the site to be returned. As I mentioned, they were picked up by a friend who thought someone had lost them and assumed that I would know whose they were or that perhaps they were part of the Liverpool Scottish material and clearly prepared with a lot of thought and care. However, I would think that they have might have a more permanent future at Hooge Crater Museum or the documentation centre at In Flanders Fields. If they were to stay up on the benches by the Liverpool Scottish Stone, I think we would find that the Ieper 'Green Department' clears them away on one of their sporadic visits up there to tidy the site.

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for your note. Happy for it to be recycled. I have other copies and can leave one at Hooge my next visit

Regards

John

Ian,

Were there any official photographs taken at the event?

Best regards,

Wayne

Wayne, There was no 'official' photographer but quite a few unofficial sets, some of pretty high quality (these have all been compressed so as to be able to post them). I think that a friend of Niek Benoot was taking photos as was Gilbert, the Chairman of VIFF, and I received another set from a source of which I am not sure. Quite a few will eventually appear on the Liverpool Scottish museum website . I think these are credited to Gilbert Ossieur - my apologies if I have that wrong

The piper in full dress is Pipe Major (WO2) Richard Grisdale who began his career with V (The Liverpool Scottish) Company of the TA, moved on to a regular career with The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) and is now Pipe Major of the The Black Watch (3rd Bn The Royal Regiment of Scotland)

post-1728-0-13355100-1438457603_thumb.jp

post-1728-0-53897900-1438457604_thumb.jp

post-1728-0-57666400-1438457606_thumb.jp

and again (Gilbert Ossieur is credited, I think)

The pipe major of the Liverpool Scottish Regimental Association Pipes and Drums is Pipe Major James (Jay) Axon, nearest the camera under the Menin Gate on 16th June 2015

post-1728-0-24042000-1438457703_thumb.jp

post-1728-0-50656800-1438458078_thumb.jp

post-1728-0-84637300-1438458079_thumb.jp

post-1728-0-95491700-1438458080_thumb.jp

Thanks Ian,

Much appreciated.

Best regards,

Wayne