The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Birmingham Battalions

Dave Phillips

I have recently bought ‘Birmingham City Battalions Roll of Honour’ on CD Rom (with four otherbooks included) – what a fantastic resource, being fully searchable!

However, I have some questions:

Why are some regimental numbers, in a range of different sources, prefixed with the battalion number e.g. 15/1401 and others have no prefix?

Does anybody know how to identify individuals from platoon photographs and attached Platoon lists – I am particularly interested in III Platoon, ‘A’ Company, 14th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Lastly, why are some of the men that I am interested in not shown in any of the Platoon lists – even those with low regimental numbers:

Lance Sergeant 15/1401 Percy Henry Perry 14th RWR

Corporal 15/97 Harry R A Bird 15th RWR

Private 15/312 Edgar John Bromwich 15th RWR

Private 255 Henry Brassington 15th RWR

Any help greatly appreciated

Dave

Hi Dave

I afraid I cannot help re the missing men, but I do have the Memorial Scroll to Corporal HRA Bird. He is listed as Birch in Soldiers Died. I have not been able to find any further details on him apart from SD info.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Thanks for the info.

I am interested in Harry Bird because he was a member of Bishop Vesey’s Grammar School, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, where I teach. I have been researching all of those Old Veseyans who died in the Great War.

All I have been able to uncover about him is the following:

Son of Frederick Bird – factory manager of ‘The Poplars’, Sutton Road, Sutton Coldfield. He was at BVGS between 1904 and 1908, before he entered a Preparatory School on Gravelly Hill, Birmingham. He was 21 when he died.

Not much for three years research!!

Dave

Checking these men against The Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men & Women who gave their lives in The Great War 1914-1918 which is a copy of the Roll in the Birmingham Hall of Memory:

Lance Sergeant 15/1401 Percy Henry Perry 14th RWR

gives Perry P H L-Sgt R. War. Reg.

Corporal 15/97 Harry R A Bird 15th RWR

gives Bird H R A Pte R. War. Reg

If his father was a factory manager - was this the Birds Custard Powder family?

Private 15/312 Edgar John Bromwich 15th RWR

not found in the roll

Private 255 Henry Brassington 15th RWR

not found in the roll

Hope this adds something.

Martin

Thanks Martin

Everything helps!

I'll follow up the Bird's Custard idea; Frederick Bird could be one of Alfred Bird's (the original maker) sons.

Dave