The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James SUTHERLAND, 1/5th Gordon Highlanders

steve fuller

Morning all

A friend of mines dad would love to know about his Dad & what surrounded him winning his MM (as you would). However, looked at the MIC's & theres too many to try & whittle it down & have very little info at the moment, but thought Id try anyway!

He survived the war. He was a printer from Kirkauldy, Fife 'in a Scottish regiment that doesnt exist anymore'. Was a conciencious (sp?) objector apparently, but served in a medical capacity (whether stretcher bearer or what I dont know yet). Won the MM, which is still with the Son Im told, but the citation hasnt survived. Info from the MM itself to follow ...

He's going to try & get what extra he can without his Dad knowing (a nice suprise Id imagine) , so Im hoping more will come my way in the next few days.

Long shot I know, but does anyone know the guy Im talking about, or shed any light whilst I wait for more info please?

Thank you Pals

Steve :D

Hi Steve,

I live a few miles from Kirkcaldy and there's a good chance I'll be passing the library next week. If you could let me have any more details on Sutherland I'd be happy to have a quick look in the local press.

I can't add any information on him at the moment but if I find any references to him this afternoon I'll let you know.

All the best,

Derek

Thanks very much Derek. Ill try & shimmy him along a bit on the info front then! Lovely job :D

Steve

The following Scottish Regts have now been amalgamated or disbanded:

Royal Scots Fusiliers

Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Highland Light Infantry

Seaforth Highlanders

Gordon Highlanders

Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

It might help narrow things down a little bit.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam,

Last night I searched the London Gazette website for 'J. Sutherland' and found the following.

[1] 10844 Pte. J. Sutherland, H.L.I. (LG 6/1/1917)

[2] 19467 Pte. J. Sutherland, R.S.Fus. (LG 28/9/1917, Leith)

[3] 241952 Cpl. J. Sutherland, Seaforth Highrs. (LG 28/9/1917, Wick)

[4] 265114 Cpl. J. C. Sutherland, Gordon Highrs. (LG 28/9/1917, Aberdeen)

[5] 28986 Pte. J. Sutherland, H.L.I. (LG 13/3/1918, Glasgow)

[6] 260233 Pte. J. Sutherland, Seaforth Highrs. (LG 3/8/1918, Carlisle)

I guess there could be others considering how difficult the search facility can be.

If Sutherland was a resident of Kirkcaldy during WWI I suppose you could eliminate Nos. 2-6.

Hopefully Steve's friend should be able to shed some light on this.

All the best,

Derek

Thanks very much Guys. B)

When I get home, Ill be on the phone to him!! Will get back to ya in a couple of days ...

Cheers

Steve :D

Right guys, firstly sorry but it turned out a bit of the info was wrong. I hope I havent wasted anyones time, so sorry if I have.

Had an info update & have identified & got his MIC's:

Born 11/11/1893 ( :lol: what can you say?)

Ivy Cottage, TARVES Aberdeenshire (spelling as it was given to me...)

Lived in Sotherton Rd, Kirkaldy, dates unsure, but possibly after the war? James died in Kirkaldy though.

His son Lesley James Sutherland born 1924 Aberdeen

MIC:

Gordon Highlanders

Pte 3863, later 241229

Shows no date / theatre of entry

Entitled to VM & BWM (Rolls; G / 101 / B22)

Military medal Card:

Pte 241229

France

Registered Paper 68/121/688

Schedule No 192728

Ill collect the Unit info from the mother site & do a google to see if anything interesting pops up, but can anyone satisfy a ew early thoughts pse:

1/5th were Terriers I believe? His 4 digit number makes me expect him to be an early enlister, yet he was a concientious objector :huh: ? Wont dwell on that too much at this stage but any thoughts welcomed!!

MM card; I imagine the change to 6 digits will reflect him remaining in the 1/5th from enlisting to March 1917 at least? Hence, does the 6 digit No suggest it was won after March 1917, as I guess it would be 4 digits if won before? (Or is that too easy?!)

Do the references on the MM card lead to the citation itself? I recall him saying its not with the medal anymore, so may be appreciated if it does ... Also, will it give the date of him winning it, or can I get that somewhere else please

No 1915 Star yet he enlisted into a TF Btn? Is that right & if so, any specific reason or did the unit just not get into active service until later?

Does the 3863 suggest what phase of the War he would have enlisted?

Can I pinpoint if he was a stretcher bearer somehow?

Thanks chaps, off to search the Gazette now ...

Steve