The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Charles Richard Sharp

KONDOA

I was out this morning taking photographs for the South African and Canadian War Graves Projects when I stumbled across this grave stone in Lincoln Newport Cemetery. Can a Chum enlighten me regarding this mans history etc. I presume this is WW1 by his age .

Roop

Charles Richard Sharpe

Nationality English

Deed On 9 May 1915 at Rouges Bancs, France, Corporal Sharpe was in charge of a blocking party sent forward to take a portion of the German trench. He was the first to reach the enemy's position and using bombs with great effect he himself cleared them out of a trench 50 yards long. By this time all his party had fallen and he was then joined by four other men with whom he attacked the enemy with bombs and captured a further trench 250 yards long.

Later achieved rank of Company Sergeant-Major.

Relatives Yvonne Barnes (Great Grandfather)

Richard Sharpe (Grandfather)

info from

http://www.victoriacross.net/award.asp?vc=1130

Aye

Malcolm

Thankyou Beppo and Malcolm,

I had a quick Google but didnt see anything immediately. I shall have another look next week as there are many graves scattered around this large graveyard, many merchant and navy types too plus Scots regiments. This is mainly due to being very close to No 4 Northern Hospital.

Roop

"Shadder" Sharpe was born in April 1889 at Pickworth, Lincs. Enlisted in the Lincs, aged 16, served with the 2nd Batt in Bermuda before the war, arriving on the WF with that battalion 6 November 1914.

He was wounded sometime after his VC award and never returned to the front. Left the army in 1928, returning to Bourne, Lincs. Worked various gardening, labouring jobs etc. Tended Bourne's war memorial gardens for many years.

When his VC came up for sale in 1989 the town tried unsuccessfully to buy his decorations (at least the MoLL got them).

Jim

Shadder" Sharpe was born in April 1889 at Pickworth, Lincs. ?

Sorry Jim had to get this one in :D Pickworth Rutland

One other VC winner buried at Ashwell Rutland is William Adams. The VC won in Afghanistan in 1879

Cheers Keith