The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Reviews for new book

Biltea

Dear all

I have read the book reviews on this forum for some time and find them very helpful.

I am now in the position of seeking book reviews for a book I have recently produced and edited. Is there any facility on this forum for obtaining a review of my book please? Alternatively, could any member suggest any newspapers, periodicals, magazines, etc, which might accept my book for review? I would be grateful for any advice supplied.

The book is :

Morland - Great War Corps Commander

War Diaries & Letters, 1914-1918

As a member of the WFA, I have sent them a copy for review. This is my first book, however, so I would appreciate other means of publicising my book. I hope this post is not considered unacceptable advertising as I don't want to be banned from the Greatwarforum!

Thanks - Bill Thompson

Hope you have sn't the book to reviews editor, Bob Wyatt. If so I will give him a call and ask if he will send it to me for review.

David

I review them for my old local paper (the Burton Mail) and usually stick them on Amazon too. Though I've got a bit of a backlog at the moment. Chris Baker is quite active also reviewing books for Amazon I've noticed so perhaps worth asking him to review one.

Send it to your local paper(s) / get some reviews on Amazon / give to WFA / there's the Facebook page too for Great War Literature https://www.facebook.com/groups/400540696804899/?fref=ts

So there's a few options...

Best of luck!

If there is a local interest - to you or him - you might consider contacting the local paper for the town/village in question.

Also, his old school/college/university might also review in their yearbook, perhaps, or maybe the relevant regimental museum?

Gentlemen/Sea.Jane

Thanks for your helpful comments re book reviews.

I have already sent a copy of the book to Bob Wyatt at the WFA, so you may be asked to review it, David.

It is on Amazon, with a generous 'Look Inside' feature, and I will contact Chris Baker to ask him if he would like to review it for Amazon.

I'm in the process of contacting my local newspaper, his old school (Charterhouse) and will follow up the Facebook link.

Thanks again - Bill

If you have a spare copy I can review it for the Friends of the National Army Museum's Book Review Supplement to its Quarterly Newsletter (I'm the editor, so I pick what goes in) - but the review won't appear until autumn as I'm putting the summer copy to bed.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Phil/Staffsyeoman

Firstly, sincere apologies for not replying to your kind review offer, made last month. I do check in with the GWF on a regular basis, but I obviously missed your comment.

If it is not too late, I would very much like to accept your kind offer of a review for the Friends of the NAM Book Review Supplement to the Quarterly Newsletter. I would be happy to send you a book for this purpose.

Best wishes - Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Bill- I don't know about a full review but if you we are talking about publicity generally worth making the most of a local connection to the book. Finding local history discussion websites /Facebook groups for example but also regional radio might well be interested.

Good luck

Michael Bully