The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Beneath a Turkish Sky" - Philip Lecane

John_Hartley

I wonder if anyone has yet ordered this new book, published by the History Press, which tells the story of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers at Gallipoli.

Philip is better known to us here under his nom-de-Forum, "Oak". Knowing his attention to research, from his work on the sinking of the RMS Leinster and other projects, I'm assuming this will be a cracker of a book, not least as the blurb mentions that it also delves into the local area and the local defenders.

John

John,

My copy just arrived here this morning, so as you will appreciate I've not yet got very far into it,

however, the Forward by Dr. Jeff Kildea [Keith Cameron Professor of Australian History at University College Dublin] does suggest that your above assumption is spot on

from p.15:- “As with his earlier book on the 1918 sinking of RMS Leinster, the mail boat from Dublin's southern port of Dun Laoghaire (then Kingstown) to Holyhead, Wales (Torpedoed (2005)), Philip approaches his subject from the level of the individuals involved. While painting the broader picture so that we fully understand the significance of the Gallipoli campaign and the context of the Irish in it, he peels the onion layer by layer so that we gain an intimate understanding of the momentous events from the viewpoint of those involved. As such it is a work of prodigious research, interrogating a wide variety of sources both obvious and obscure.”

Looking forward to a good read and to learning more about V Beach on 25th April 1915

with best regards

Michael

• 1 month later...

Steve Chambers informs that there is to be a review of Philip's book in the next issue of

'The Gallipolian' - see https://twitter.com/Gallipoli100/status/636848535573528576 and https://twitter.com/SteveJChambers/status/636845354948919296

I look forward to seeing this review by a successful author [at least four books on the campaign] and respected tour guide.

For me the book worked very well indeed, with Philip guiding us through the personal backgrounds of some of the Dubs. Wherever he can, he also provides several eyewitness views of the same incident. This allows us to compare the various accounts and to try and understand the limited perspective of the ordinary infantry soldier, [or his naval counterpart] in the midst of a great battle: the fog of war is an overused phrase, but that does not make it any the less true when dealing with first hand accounts.

Both enlightening and well written; a good addition to my library - Thanks Philip

Michael

• 1 month later...

I found it to be very well balanced, e.g. it doesn't rely upon too many memoirs (which are often woefully inaccurate) without also including extensively researched detail of the facts - or the information that we could being as close to factual as is reasonable.

Philip also used Turkish sources, which provides a welcome additional dimension. I enjoyed it immensely but feel that it's appeal will be for those with an interest in getting more information about the V Beach landings and Sedd el Bahr rather than the general reader looking for a shallow skim of the Gallipoli campaign.

Well worth buying though, whether you've an interest in the regiment or in the Gallipoli campaign.

Does the book cover 6th and 7th Bns RDF as well as 1st Bn?

This is what the summary says;

It was the First World War’s largest seaborne invasion and the Irish were at the forefront. Recruited in Ireland, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were ordered to spearhead the invasion of Gallipoli in Turkey. Deadlocked in trench warfare on the Western Front, the British High Command hoped the assault would Germany’s ally out of the war. Using letters and photographs, this book tells the story of the ‘Dubs’ officers and men called from an idyllic posting in India to be billeted on the civilian population in England. They then set off on what was presented as a great adventure to win glory and capture Constantinople. The book also gives the story of the Turkish defenders and the locality being invaded. Accompanied by the Royal Munster Fusiliers, packed aboard the SS River Clyde, the ‘Dubs’ landed from ships boats on the fiercely defended beach at Sedd-el-Bahr. The song The Foggy Dew says, “It were better to die beneath an Irish sky than at Suvla or Sedd-el-Bahr.” This book tells the story of the forgotten Irishmen who died beneath a Turkish sky in what was Ireland’s D-Day.

Does the book cover 6th and 7th Bns RDF as well as 1st Bn?

This is what the summary says;

It was the First World War’s largest seaborne invasion and the Irish were at the forefront. Recruited in Ireland, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were ordered to spearhead the invasion of Gallipoli in Turkey. Deadlocked in trench warfare on the Western Front, the British High Command hoped the assault would Germany’s ally out of the war. Using letters and photographs, this book tells the story of the ‘Dubs’ officers and men called from an idyllic posting in India to be billeted on the civilian population in England. They then set off on what was presented as a great adventure to win glory and capture Constantinople. The book also gives the story of the Turkish defenders and the locality being invaded. Accompanied by the Royal Munster Fusiliers, packed aboard the SS River Clyde, the ‘Dubs’ landed from ships boats on the fiercely defended beach at Sedd-el-Bahr. The song The Foggy Dew says, “It were better to die beneath an Irish sky than at Suvla or Sedd-el-Bahr.” This book tells the story of the forgotten Irishmen who died beneath a Turkish sky in what was Ireland’s D-Day.

Philip's book covers in very commendable detail, the 1st Batt., RDF and their battle at V Beach, April 1915 [the book's sub-title is 'The Royal Dublin Fusiliers and the Assault on Gallipoli']

For good measure, he also describes various naval personel who were involved in the landing at V Beach

• 5 months later...

Steve Chambers informs that there is to be a review of Philip's book in the next issue of

'The Gallipolian' - see https://twitter.com/Gallipoli100/status/636848535573528576 and https://twitter.com/SteveJChambers/status/636845354948919296

Good review in The Gallipolian No.140 - Spring 2016

concludes with the words "...this book is a must. Highly recommended."