The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

23rd Royal Fusiliers 1 Sportsmans

Guest andy.stafford

Guest andy.stafford

I'm hoping that someone can help point me in the right direction. I've recently been given a small box of medals, his leather ID tag and uniform badges and a photo of my wounded grandfather on his return to England. I know from what I have already that he was in this regiment. I know that he was seriously wounded and invalided out of the army. I recall him telling me that he was injured twice, once at Ypres and also on the Somme. I'd like to know more about the movements of his regiment and if possible something about his part in it. Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum. There is a book that gives an account of the Royal Fusiliers, including mention of the 23rd (First Sportsman's) Battalion. It is entitled 'The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War' (ISBN 1843421739). The softback version retails for GBP14.95 from http://www.naval-military-press.co.uk

On the Somme, the battalion appears to have been involved at Delville Wood, the Ancre and Boom Ravine. They were back in the same area for the 1918 battles on the Somme as well. The former actions are all covered by books in the Battleground Europe series, available via

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/cgi-bin/wor...ckppo&mv_pc=365

I am sure that others in the forum will be able to add this.

Robert

Andy

welocme to the forum. My grandfather was in the 24th (2nd Sportsmans) Bn of the Royal Fusiliers. I have recently visited the curator at the Royal Fusiliers to show him some orignal photos of my grandfather which I believed were taken in Uk prior to going to France and then some other photos taken in either France or Germany after the end of the war. He told me that the reason that there was a second battalion was that so many men wanted to join the 1st Bn that they had enough to make a second!! My grandfather was a waterpolo goalie and came from Battersea and it was this and his interest in football that made him join the Sportsmans battalion.

Both Battalions trained at Clipstone Camp, Hornchurch before going overseas, initially both battalions were in the 33 Division, both being part of the 99th Brigade. On 25 Nov 1915 the Brigade was transferred to the 2nd Division and subsequently to France.

I will have to dig out my war diary extracts as I am sure they give reference to the 1st Battalion. Hope this is of some help.

Mutley

Guest andy.stafford

What a great response already, thank you both! I thought I might add a couple of details here. His name was Albert Stafford, his number was 4702 and he was a private. He was in the Sportsmans because he was a regular footballer, his uncle was captain of Mancheter United! He was always reluctant to talk about what happened in France, so it remains a bit of a mystery.

Andy

I have also got some photos of the battalion at Hare Hall Camp near Romford, this is the 2nd Battalion so I can only presume that they moved from Clipstone Camp and the 1st Battalion stayed. Regards

Mutley

Andy looking through some notes I made at the PRO I have a few references to the 1st Bn, as follows.

Both battalions took part in a reveiw of 33 Div at Tidworth on 08 11 15 and on 15 11 15 they embarked for France arriving at Number 5 rest camp Harve on 16 11 15. On 25 11 15 the Brigade transferred to 2 Div. During the next couple of days there are numerous inter battalion football matches. They (2nd Bn) seemed to beat all comers, beating the HLI 2- 0 and the Hldrs 2- 0. The rest of the year is pretty quiet. On 25 01 16 the second battalion relieved the first in trenches at Festubert, taking over the line "Rue de Bois to Quinque Rue" in the C2 sub sector.

I cant seem to find the remaining notes that i made at the moment but will have a look later.

Mutley