The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kindles

Michelle Young

• Admin

I'm thinking of getting one, opinions please and is there enough Great War related books to download to make it worthwhile? The Amazon military store looks a bit thin, plenty of saccharine novels and Hitler stuff seemingly.

Thanks in anticipation

Michelle

If you enter kindle into the search box you will have plenty of opinions on this subject both for and against. My own view is they are worth it and there is a sufficient amount of materiel available to make it worthwhile. However at the moment they are not a replacement for books but an additional format.

Garth

If you follow this thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=198608&hl= you will be able to pick up books from time-to-time for a song. You can also download the books that available on InternetArchive in Kindle format (or as PDF), and you can load your own PDFs onto it too, so it's quite a convenient way of carrying a library around with you (though the out-and-out bookreaders are black and white). New published material is increasingly available as Kindle from day one (usually considerably cheaper than the equivalent hard copy).

Yes Michelle, there are enough Great War books in kindle format by respected war historians to make buying a kindle worthwhile IMHO. Also, as David mentioned, the books on Internet Archive can be downloaded to kindle. If you buy one it'll soon be bursting before you know it. Easier to carry around a lot of titles for a convenient read and/or reference.

• Admin

Thanks all, nothing can replace the smell or feel of a book but for work or travel I can see they would be ideal. And I'm rapidly running out of bookcases

Michelle

No, definitely not a substitute for a real book, but very handy and especially for the old rare books on archive.org

Some of the contemporary war historian authors on my kindle:-

Peter Hart, Gary Sheffield, Richard van Emden, Peter Doyle, Chris Baker, Christina Holstein, Alan Wakefield & Simon Moody, Kirsty Harris, Jean Prendergast, Mark Thompson, Helen McCartney, Stephen Cooper....

You probably have all the real book versions of the above authors' books Michelle, but just as an example, plus they will probably be writing more (hopefully) :)

(Someone please shoot me if you see me rattling on about kindle on here anymore. Said I wasn't going to do it again!!)

I'm thinking of getting one, opinions please and is there enough Great War related books to download to make it worthwhile? The Amazon military store looks a bit thin, plenty of saccharine novels and Hitler stuff seemingly.

Thanks in anticipation

Michelle

I am a convert and a big fan of kindle, simply because when I travel I can take my books in the device. A kindle does a lot more than just store books and does most things a tablet does. I did a bit of research first and spoke at length to an acquaintance who worked for Waterstones e-books for some time. She recommended the Kindle Fire and have no regrets. In the remote chance you don't already know there is a Kindle app for an iPad which effectively does everything kindle does and duplicates the library. I only have great war books on mine and there must be at least 50 volumes. The texts are searchable too, which is useful at times.

I went to my local library today and they tell me they can also send e-books to your e-book reader that self destruct after a certain time period.

MG

• Admin

I just downloaded the Kindle ap to my iPad and have already purchased an e book

Michelle

No, definitely not a substitute for a real book, but very handy and especially for the old rare books on archive.org

Some of the contemporary war historian authors on my kindle:-

Peter Hart, Gary Sheffield, Richard van Emden, Peter Doyle, Chris Baker, Christina Holstein, Alan Wakefield & Simon Moody, Kirsty Harris, Jean Prendergast, Mark Thompson, Helen McCartney, Stephen Cooper....

You probably have all the real book versions of the above authors' books Michelle, but just as an example, plus they will probably be writing more (hopefully) :)

(Someone please shoot me if you see me rattling on about kindle on here anymore. Said I wasn't going to do it again!!)

What about me? My books are only on kindle.

What about me? My books are only on kindle.

I did say 'some' of the authors on my kindle. Also, I don't know what your real name is. ;)

I would wholeheartedly recommend a Kindle - if you get one designed as a reader (rather than the Kindle Fire tablet), they have a wonderful facility where you can search your entire collection for a specific word, or name - I use this all the time

I echo what Alan has said. Have had mine for about a year and downloaded a lot of stuff from archive.org. However, I really don't like it for anything requiring reference to maps or photographs, and there are some actual books that are good to have in hard copy. It is wonderful for travelling.

Hazel C

Michelle,have you tried "Wars Bookshelf" on the Gutenberg Books site?. Some very good reading available,all for free.

John

• Admin

Thanks will look

Michelle

I did say 'some' of the authors on my kindle. Also, I don't know what your real name is. ;)

David Heal.

The books are:

Victims Nonetheless: The invasion of Luxembourg 1914.

Luxembourgers in the First World War: An inventory.

Annoyingly my Kindle which I got several years ago when they were a new invention has gone AWOL from my Ute where it has filled in hours of time when away from home. I used it to read books all sorts not just GW and you could download things like thesis onto it. Whats the recommendation for the latest version to replace it with, I am only really going to use it for reading? The only thing that bugged me about the old one is you had to have a torch or candle to read it at night if there was no power, but I assume backlit versions are available.

Cheers James.

Annoyingly my Kindle which I got several years ago when they were a new invention has gone AWOL from my Ute where it has filled in hours of time when away from home. I used it to read books all sorts not just GW and you could download things like thesis onto it. Whats the recommendation for the latest version to replace it with, I am only really going to use it for reading? The only thing that bugged me about the old one is you had to have a torch or candle to read it at night if there was no power, but I assume backlit versions are available.

Cheers James.

Kindle Paper White, is what you need. Inbuilt light. Just make sure that you buy the solid cover to go with it. They cost a lot, but do protect the gadget - it is easy to drop it, and risk breaking the glass, and means that you don't have to run it on and off (shutting the cover and leaving the gadget 'in the dark', switches it to shut down mode and opening the cover wakes it up).

They don't cost much on line. Everyone in my family got hard leather ones for under $10.00 through Ebay. Free postage. They do come from China but we have never had a dud.

Hazel

Still buying books but also have my good lady's old Kindle and have quite a bit of Great War stuff on there. So I'd say 'yes' but use all channels to suit.

One drawback, my 'Swansea Pals' book contains facsimile copies of original lists of the men who sailed for France. These were reduced in size for the book and I cannot enlarge them to make them readable on the Kindle version. So they are unreadable! If there is a workaround I'm not aware of it...

Bernard

Still buying books but also have my good lady's old Kindle and have quite a bit of Great War stuff on there. So I'd say 'yes' but use all channels to suit.

One drawback, my 'Swansea Pals' book contains facsimile copies of original lists of the men who sailed for France. These were reduced in size for the book and I cannot enlarge them to make them readable on the Kindle version. So they are unreadable! If there is a workaround I'm not aware of it...

Bernard

I phoned Amazon about that little problem. No "workaround"!

H.

David Heal.

The books are:

Victims Nonetheless: The invasion of Luxembourg 1914.

Luxembourgers in the First World War: An inventory.

Thank you.

Just added up I currently have 33 books on my kindle. I have no problems with the kindle, however I feel I must make one observations, first some maps though can be zoomed are not really readable.

Joe

• 1 month later...

Bernard

I also downloaded the *desktop* Kindle program - which is perfect for viewing diagrams etc.

• 2 weeks later...