The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

It was an Awful Sunday. The 2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

emjayen

Well, I finally got there! My first book has just been published by Reveille Press.

What started out as general family research to find out some details surrounding the death of my Great Uncle evolved into a mission to discover why the Inniskillings suffered such horrendous casualties - 649, including 264 killed in the first night attack of the war. The battles of Neuve Chapelle and Aubers Ridge are also examined to identify common factors which impacted on particularly the Inniskillings at Festubert. The battle is examined utilising both British and German accounts to construct a picture of the initial advance and challenges some existing perceptions.

I would like to thank all those at the Long Long Trail and particularly the members of the Great War Forum for their incredible wealth of knowledge and advice. An amazing resource.

The book is available on Amazon and I also have a stock of copies.

Thanks again for all your help GWF members!

Michael

Congratulations on your publication! I know the feeling...

Clive

• 4 months later...
  • Admin

Currently reading your book Michael. Progress is slow owing to other commitments but I have to say it is very well written, and a good if very sobering read

Michelle

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

Just a heads up for this book, well written and extremely readable. Michael is to be congratulated.

Michelle

• 3 months later...

I have just finished reading your book and found it very easy to read. My great uncle was Sjt John Johnston McGonigle who served with D Company 2nd Btn and I was therefore very interested to find out the history of what happened to him. My grandmother (his sister) had always said that the family had heard that he had just disappeared in the mud and from your book this may actually have been the case. I found your book to be very enlightening in respect of the events that happened and would highly recommend it to all interested in the Inniskilling Fusiliers history. Many thanks for all your hard work.

Kathy