The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

How do I know I have got the right one?

Guest barneys

I am trying to find out if my grandfather served in the 1WW. I have found a Joseph Clamp who was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment on the National Archives site but I don't know if he is the right person. Can anyone tell me how I can find out?

Hi Barney,

I think some detective work and a visit to the PRO if thats possible, would be a good start.

If you are certain of his full name and unit, then a check of the service records is the next thing. Even if his service records have not survived, by discounting other soldiers that served with the same name and unit, might then give you more of an idea if this is your man or not.

Alie.

Barney,

Was your GFather an officer? if it was it may be him. If not then you cant search for rank men on the archive.

Put up some details that you know and it will help people advise you.

Regards

Leigh

There are just three "Joseph Clamp" listed in the NA MiCs

189630 Labour Corps.

22010 Warwickshire Regt.late Volunteer or Derby Scheme Conscript

3/8461 Royal Irish Regiment.[Number Indicates 3rd Reserve Battalion,so probably a Pre War Regular from the Number 8461]

If your Grandfather served with the Warwickshires @ that time its 99.9% got to be him.

Also on the 1901 Census there are 23 Joseph Clamp from 1 month to 70 odd,of these only about half a dozen would be of an age to have served in WW1 13 years later,so I would suggest you try to Establish which one of those he is to give you his age & Home @ that time,which may help once you start seeking Service Papers should they survive.