The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

NZ Pioneer Batallion

Sue Pietersma

Brilliant stuff Wendy! The GWF at its best. :thumbsup: Great to see what can be done when us old Commonwealth allies stick together!

Lets hope it is Andrew William Michelson, I will keep my fingers crossed until Sue has had time to research all the facts.

There are a few similarities but also a few question marks with the NZEF service file. It was with the help of the peeps on

the Trademe Genealogy boards/forum that it was found. Will be very excited if it is Andrew.

Brilliant stuff Wendy! The GWF at its best. :thumbsup: Great to see what can be done when us old Commonwealth allies stick together!

Lets hope it is Andrew William Michelson, I will keep my fingers crossed until Sue has had time to research all the facts.

There are a few similarities but also a few question marks with the NZEF service file. It was with the help of the peeps on

the Trademe Genealogy boards/forum that it was found. Will be very excited if it is Andrew.

You are way too modest Wendy.

Yes it is all looking promising. Looking at the File more closely things are fitting together.

The marriage to Rosalie may HUTTON - Grafton, NSW - 13.04.1913

post-49999-0-84567200-1437141053_thumb.j

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Saturday 18 February 1933 p 8 Article ... .) NICHOLSON v NICHOLSON. Rosalie May Nicholson (formerly Hutton) v Andrew William Nicholson. Marriage, April ... IN DIVORCE. (Before the Judge in Divorce, Mr. Justice Boyce.)

post-49999-0-59636000-1437140942_thumb.j

Advertising

Truth (Sydney, NSW : 1894 - 1954) Sunday 14 August 1932 p 22 Advertising ... 1932. — BETWEEN ROSALIE MAY NICHOLSON, Petitioner, and ANDREW WILLIAM NICHOLSON. Respondent TO ANDREW ... ROSALIE MAY NICHOLSON has commenced a suit against you In this Honorable Court and Is applying for a ... 210 words

post-49999-0-83547200-1437141568_thumb.j

Rosalie's death, a child Ernest

Family Notices

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Monday 22 March 1948 p 10 Family Notices ... Maureen Requlcscot In pace NICHOLSON Rosalie May -March 21 1948 at her residence Dean Street Burwood ... post-49999-0-77491300-1437142445_thumb.j

It seems that whatever his other qualities he was a serial deserter of his wives.

Possible deaths for Andrew William NICHOLSON. Aust Cemetery Search

NICHOLSON William Andrew Death notice 09AUG1967 Death late of Gladesville Sydney Morning Herald

11AUG1967

Inscription for Andrew Nicholson Cemetery: Coffs Harbour Historic NSW Inscription Id: 8944746 Surname: Nicholson Given Names: Andrew Birth Date: 1879? Death Date: 9 Oct 1965 Age: 86 Gender: M Portion: Pbn Spouse Name: Amy Emma Other People: Amy Emma Nicholson Remarks: h/Amy Emma; father Nearby graves: Previous Next (may be related) Other Sources

Photographed and transcribed by: Stafford, Michelle

Cemetery: Coffs Harbour Historic NSW Inscription Id: 8944747 Surname: Nicholson Given Names: Amy Emma Birth Surname: Casson Birth Date: 1898? Death Date: 2 Jul 1974 Age: 76 Gender: F Portion: Pbn Spouse Name: Andrew Other People: Andrew Nicholson Remarks: née Casson; w/Andrew; mother Nearby graves: Previous Next (may be related) Other Sources

Photographed and transcribed by: Stafford, Michelle

This marriage will need researching, could be a 4th marriage.

post-49999-0-19425400-1437177503_thumb.j

It seems that whatever his other qualities he was a serial deserter of his wives.

Lol was thinking that also.

My G Grandfather did the exact same thing, left a wife and family in New Zealand after WW1 only to go to Australia and repeat it all twice more.

Cant blame him though because I don't know the circumstances.

Maybe Andrew forgot he was married (Senility) that's most likely what we call Alzheimer's or dementia these days.

I'm looking forward to Sue getting back to us. I ready to crack open a bourbon to celebrate.

Lol was thinking that also.

My G Grandfather did the exact same thing, left a wife and family in New Zealand after WW1 only to go to Australia and repeat it all twice more.

Cant blame him though because I don't know the circumstances.

Maybe Andrew forgot he was married (Senility) that's most likely what we call Alzheimer's or dementia these days.

I'm looking forward to Sue getting back to us. I ready to crack open a bourbon to celebrate.

I don't think we are talking about dementia in this case, Wendy (although I would not rule it out). "Senility" was also used to describe physical weakness brought on by old age. If you dig into the record in more depth, chronic rheumatism and pain in the legs and feet are stated. It is also noted that active service has aggravated this pre-existing condition and it is unlikely that a pioneer of his age, with this problem, would be able to discharge his duties.

Wendy - you are phenomenal! I am stunned..................thank you so much! A big thumbs up to GWF and the Commonwealth - even if South Africa is no longer part of it......

This was all too much for me to leave behind in Johannesburg I am afraid - I am in the middle of the bush and have just managed to connect to the Internet via my cell phone so I could check in to the Forum. I am driving everyone mad - I spent hours last night, out in the freezing cold, phoning my brother in Auckland and my cousin Meryl in Johannesburg (the M Michelson above who preciously posted on this forum). I tried but couldn't reach Andrew's brother's granddaughter in Melbourne!!!

It is definitely him! too many matches. We have even matched the handwriting with his two other marriage certificates! (very conveniently my husband is a professional Graphologist). I will try and post them after this - if the internet is strong enough.

Advertising

Truth (Sydney, NSW : 1894 - 1954) Sunday 14 August 1932 p 22 Advertising ... 1932. — BETWEEN ROSALIE MAY NICHOLSON, Petitioner, and ANDREW WILLIAM NICHOLSON. Respondent TO ANDREW ... ROSALIE MAY NICHOLSON has commenced a suit against you In this Honorable Court and Is applying for a ... 210 words

attachicon.gifAndrew and Rosalie....JPG

What an intrigue - At the time of this Divorce above, 1932 , AW had been married to Annie Jane (b Hetherington) for over a year - and is still married to my great Grandmother (Agnes Mary b Herley). Goodness, in 1945 she couldn't get the money her brother left here because she was still married "in community of property" to Andrew William Michelson - according to South African Law (Roman Dutch Law). She was Catholic so never considered divorce.

My Mom, Maureen (b Michelson), is here with me. She is taking all this info about her Grandfather all very calmly I must say.

Wendy, can you believe my brother, Mike, in Auckland and I looked at this A W Nicholson about 2 years ago, I may still have the info in my file at home. We eventually wrote him off - there was nothing to link him. I am sure I found him on Archway, but I certainly didn't get to these War File Docs.

There is a one page that mentions his disability first starting in Maryborough, VIC. His mother was killed in a buggy accident there in 1878 when Andrew was 2 yrs old, he and 2 of his brothers were in the buggy with her and Andrew may have been injured himself. His father left Maryborough soon after and moved to Ballarat.

Will try and look into those deaths

I don't know whether to me sad or mad with Andrew...........

Sue.

It is Andrew, signatures are exact.

Oh wow that's great news Sue. I am so excited for you, what a buzz. So glad you found the Great War Forum and we could help you.

You will now have loads of research to go on with and lots more breakthroughs. That's a wonderful feeling.

Ernest maybe a child from a previous marriage but you can check all that, you might have to extend your family tree :w00t:

Here are some other places to look for Pioneer Battalion information and photos

Official history of the Maoris in the Great War (Pioneer Bn) You can trace where Andrew was serving.

NZECT All official histories digitised online here Electronic Text Centre

Please consider submitting Andrews photo for publication in the next Onward Book. Onward Project

Two books already on the shelves and the third book nearly ready for publication, thousand of photos of our NZEF soldiers of the Great War.

All the men of the Great War must be remembered whether they served on the front or back home in the training camps.

post-49999-0-14778800-1437259986_thumb.j

You can also add photos and information as a contributor at the New Zealand Cenotaph on Andrews page.

post-49999-0-65791100-1437260946_thumb.j

I don't think we are talking about dementia in this case, Wendy (although I would not rule it out). "Senility" was also used to describe physical weaknessness brought on by old age. If you dig into the record in more depth, chronic rheumatism and pain in the legs and feet are stated. It is also noted that active service has aggravated this pre-existing condition and it is unlikely that a pioneer of his age, with this problem, would be able to discharge his duties.

Yes, I agree. That would have been the meaning on Army discharge papers.

It is Andrew, signatures are exact.

Oh wow that's great news Sue. I am so excited for you, what a buzz. So glad you found the Great War Forum and we could help you.

You will now have loads of research to go on with and lots more breakthroughs. That's a wonderful feeling.

Ernest maybe a child from a previous marriage but you can check all that, you might have to extend your family tree :w00t:

Here are some other places to look for Pioneer Battalion information and photos

Official history of the Maoris in the Great War (Pioneer Bn) You can trace where Andrew was serving.

NZECT All official histories digitised online here Electronic Text Centre

Please consider submitting Andrews photo for publication in the next Onward Book. Onward Project

Two books already on the shelves and the third book nearly ready for publication, thousand of photos of our NZEF soldiers of the Great War.

All the men of the Great War must be remembered whether they served on the front or back home in the training camps.

Onward.jpg

You can also add photos and information as a contributor at the New Zealand Cenotaph on Andrews page.

Cenotaph.JPG

That's a truly remarkable piece of research Wendy. Kudos to you. Brilliantly done!

I think the medal ribbon may be the QSA for Boer War service.

Craig

Craig - I want to thank you especially for this bit of information. You have no idea how long we took to ID it - largely due to inexperience. We spent months considering the French Police Medaille d'Honneur because the colours, or lack thereof, seemed to match.....Eventually I got hold of an ex-SA Airforce researcher who told us about the sepia colours being inverted. Great to have it confirmed.

Rgds

Sue

Yes, I agree. That would have been the meaning on Army discharge papers.

That's a truly remarkable piece of research Wendy. Kudos to you. Brilliantly done!

Wendy

I wholeheartedly agree with the above. I couldn't have said it better. You have given a number of Andrew William's descendants around the world an unforgettable weekend. Grateful thanks - from all the living Michelsons

As a result we are going to have many hours of enjoyment researching, writing up and yes, extending the Family Tree.

A last word -

My brother noticed out that our GGrandfather was eligible for the Victory Medal but never received it.

With reference to the following.....................

(In the above example)................ you will see that on the left side of the History Sheet there is a stamp that reads “Medal Action Complete” this has been amended with a pencilled “IN”, making the word incomplete, to indicate the medals have still not been issued up to the date 04 march 1924.
If on reviewing the digitised copy of the service file from Archives NZ you believe there are either medals or the Gallipoli Medallion that has not been issued please complete the posthumous NZ and foreign medals and awards application (Form No.2) which you can download from the NZDF Medals website.
...................... we going to apply for the medal on his behalf.
Thank you GWF members
Sue

post-123336-0-94421200-1437311368_thumb.

post-123336-0-31659000-1437312476_thumb.

I love a story like this, that despite some sadness in the past, ends happily. Its made my weekend too.

Good morning all.

Thanks you for your kind words Sue and frogsmile.

Sue

The NZDF most likely couldn't trace Andrew because of his movements after the war. 99.99% of soldiers received their medals, and those who didn't the families claimed post war time. However I agree Andrew never received his medals or the form would have been complete in later years.

NZDF no longer issue WW1 medals unfortunately they only issued WW1 medals while the soldiers was alive.

Gallipoli medallion and WW2 medals are available posthumous to families or living soldiers, but not applicable.

You will have to buy a replica Victory and British War replica set. Andrew was entitled to both.

While you are at it get at QSM to make the group. You can buy silver BWM and QSM, they look beautiful and like the real thing.

Don't get cheap replicas as they look bad. Perhaps frogsmile can recommend a seller from England who has good stock.

I also note missing from the service file is a blue form notifying the NZDF that Andrew had died.

Also his attestation sheet with all personal information and that includes military and employment history and a medical exam.

With the Anglo Boar War information you have dose it state what campaigns Andrew was with, he will be entitled to bars on his QSM.

I will be happy to help in any way that I can with suggested suppliers of WW1 medals.

Wendy - I thought as much when I later read through the application form for the medal. Thanks for the advice re replicas.

I wonder if it would be possible to find out if his attestation sheet is still in the file.

In the Anglo Boer War Andrew was really in service rolls - as a stretcher Bearer in the Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps for 3 months, that would be at Colenso, Spionkop, the relief of Ladysmith etc. Other than that he was a Conductor in the remounts in the Army Service Corps - who I am told don't have records as they mainly had civilians. He was apparently entitled to the Kings SA Medal as well - which he didn't seem to receive either........

Lots to investigate.

I will be happy to help in any way that I can with suggested suppliers of WW1 medals.

Thank you Frogsmile! Do you know anyone in South Africa - or failing that, New Zealand? Pity, I was in England recently!