The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mystery Surrounding the death of a Major

Hugh Pattenden

Hi,

I have come across a Major J. Ll. Davies of the 11th Essex (2 i/c) who went into action at Loos on 25th September 1915. The CWGC give his date of death as 25th Septemeber 1915, and he is on the Loos Memorial. However, I have come across unofficial accounts which claim that he was wounded, captured and died at Wesel. Is there any chance that there is an 'Unknown British Major' buried near there? Is there anything I can do toward finding out if this story is true or if it is possible to identify his grave?

Many thanks,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

From

J.W. Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914-1919, Service Battalions, The Essex Regiment Vol. 6, page 262.:

As the Essex went down the forward slope to the low ground through which ran the main Lens-La Bassee road, first fire from field guns and then machine guns opened upon them in enfilade sited apparently in and around Hulluch village. The commanding officer, Lieut.-colonel Radclyffe - leading the Battalion, cane in hand and with a small dog barking at his heels - the second-in-command, Major Davies) both killed and the Adjutant (Captain Heppell), wounded, all went down within a few minutes before the machine gun fire, which ; "rattled like a mowing machine."

Hope this helps,

Michael

Strange, then, how Radclyffe's date of death is a day later:

Name: RADCLYFFE, CHARLES EDWARD

Initials: C E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Essex Regiment

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Secondary Regiment: Rifle Brigade

Secondary Unit Text: formerly

Date of Death: 26/09/1915

Awards: DSO

Additional information: Son of Charles Edward and Constance Radclyffe; husband of Theresa Caroline Radclyffe, of Little Park, Wickham, Hants.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 85 to 87

Cemetery: LOOS MEMORIAL

Both the men are on the Loos Memorial, and Radclyffe's later date of death would suggest that they were probably captured and died in captivity. I should suspect that it was not uncommon for soldiers who died in such circumstances to be buried as unknowns.

The account I have of the death of Major Davies is very clear. It claims that

Nothing definite was to be learnt about Major Davies, but it is believed that he was seriously wounded during the advance. The German Red Cross reported him killed. Later, however, it was discovered that he died in hospital at Wesel, and was buried there.

Thanks Bob.

That seems to make the story that he was captured and died as a POW sound more likely.

I wonder where the nearest war graves are to Wesel, and if that point is true also.

Hugh.