The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Court Martials

Guest paddyboy

My own special interest is in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. A once mighty regiment who fought bravely for the British Empire but due recent history has been virtually forgotten.

I know there is the Royal Dublin Fusiliers association in Dublin and more recently a book published by a member of that association 'entitled the 'Old Toughs'.

My own grandfather's history has been more difficult to trace and this is where I would appreciate any help or information that fellow members may have.

My maternal Grandfather was named Thomas Winter born on August 16th 1889 in Glasgow of Irish descent. He seems to be listed as Private 'railway brakesman' Royal Dublin Fusiliers number 23334.

The medal index card I have shows he qualified for the British War & Victory Medals but he, for what ever reason, deserted 21 October 1916. Therefore, his medal roll entry records the medals as being forfeited. He served first with the 8th Battallion then the 1st Battalion from which he deserted.

Apparently his servicerecord REF's WO363-W1755 & W1756 are part of the burnt document series.

What I would dearly love is to obtain some copies of those battalion photos if they exist and also find out more about his desertion. H survived the war, although I never met him and I beleive many such sentences were transmuted to Penal Servitiude. If that was the case in my Grandfathers case where would he have served such a sentence and for how long is there any way I could find out more about him and the circumstances?