The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

PTE.THOMAS SHUREY-MIDDLESEX REGIMENT.

steve140968

I'm taking a trip to 'the national archives' soon to research my grandfathers history whilst serving with the MIDDLESEX REGIMENT during the great war . I already have a copy of his MIC,but am wondering what other information/documents i should be looking for to save me time,as i live a fair way away. Any help would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

I too am researching servicemen from the Middlesex Regiment.

You really need to pin down his battalion before you go. Was it mentioned on his MIC? It wasn't on my grandfather's. I believe the so-called Army List (or lists in reality) would be a good place to look. Other forum members should be able to advise you.

You can then have a stab at finding his service records in WO 363 or 364. A lot of these were destroyed or badly damaged in WW2. The NA website gives further details.

When you know his battalion and the period (and theatre) in which he served then you should consult the war diaries. These are broken down by battalion and you indentify the right one by doing a search on the NA website.

Hope this helps (and I hope I'm right).

Regards,

Justin

(Dublin, Ireland)

Hi Justin,

thanks for the reply. I really am having trouble tracking down my grandfathers batallion,however 'the army list ' seems to be a good starting point ,thanks.Like yourself my grandfathers batallion was not mentioned on his MIC,neither was his theatre of war.His son seems to think that he fought at YPRES/PAS'DALE but he can't be 100% sure .Maybe somebody could tell me if the MIDDLESEX REGIMENT fought here ??? He was wounded on the battlefield,so maybe somebody may know of a way this can be linked to the place where it happened,ie, through his silver war badge??? Thanks again Justin ,and good luck.

Regards,

Steve.