The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The History Press: Great War Britain local titles

Moonraker

Several threads note the series of Great War local titles being published by Pen & Sword, but I've seen no reference to

this series

by the History Press.

I wonder if there was any collaboration between the two companies about which published what?

I've just finished reading the Swindon title and shall review it separately.

Moonraker

I doubt if there was any collaboration. Both commercial enterprises.

Bernard

By "collaboration", I meant the companies checking to see that both were not planning books on the same locality. (Pen & Sword's Reading title was preceded - scooped, one might also say- by a collection of essays made under the auspices of the borough library.) I do wonder whether some of the upcoming titles are coming out a little after the "crest of the wave" interest in the latter part of last year.

I like to think that it was a good idea for me to get in early with my Wiltshire and the Great War, published by a third company in 2012 and so pre-empting aspirants. I did, however, leave scope for books on Swindon and Salisbury, and my concentration on military training, notably on Salisbury Plain, meant I neglected the county north of Swindon.

Moonraker

Amberley Publishing have also done a few.

Whilst they rejected my latest book, "Bully Beef & Biscuits", they did invite me to write a "Stockport in the Great War". I declined, as someone wrote a very good account some years back which I couldnt better. I pointed them at that author suggesting he may want to do an update for them. No idea what happened.